Do you see anything wrong with this specimen

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Braydon, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Braydon

Braydon Make your own history, with history you can own.

Yeah BIE as well, look at the tail in between B and E. It skirts the B.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Braydon

It's difficult too see, but I assure you there's a tail that skirts the B in between B and E

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

A "true" BIE has an elongated die chip that looks like an "I" that partially fills the space between the letters. There is no curve under the "B" as the "I" shaped break in a "true" BIE does not extend above or below the other letters. :sorry:

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

You tell me - it's your coin and I'm not a mind reader! And I also see there is no "BIE" there!
    Even with everything else that is there they are minuscule so called "errors" and not worth a premium.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with the others that you do not have a "BIE" variety, and I'm willing to bet that the other items you mentioned do not fall under the scope of PCGS' variety service.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very cool to pick an error the TPG's don't find. I don't see it, but I am not good looking at these.

Braydon likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

:banghead::banghead::banghead: Wow, just wow.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

If ya don't see it then how can you call it an error - OH wait - if I don't give one of these :) then you won't know I'm just funnin'

tommyc03 and Kentucky like this.
  10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Wanna see a REAL biggie that pcgs missed? This 1911 $2 1/2
    [​IMG]

Braydon likes this.
  11. Braydon

Or its all theatre

12. Braydon

And yet it would be worth a premium, if you owned it.

13. Braydon

Which is not a compliment. It means; wow you didn't think somebody could be so stupid. Please humor me

14. Insider

1911-D weak "D." Get it in a reholder.

jwitten likes this.
  15. Braydon

Because PCGS, is quite simply protecting their investments. Corporations cannot afford to be ethical, or it threatens their institution.

16. cpm9ball

Where did you find your source of information? Your comments are a crock of bull.

Chris

Insider likes this.
  17. Braydon

I hope you're proud of yourself.

18. cpm9ball

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, so why don't you quit before it gets too deep.

Chris

19. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would if it was mine. Not sure how pcgs did not catch it.

20. Insider

I see a potential problem here so I am addressing this to every member. I am not attacking @jwitten, a very informed member regarding Quarter Eagles, who has provided a photo of a coin in a PCGS slab that he does not own as a way of educating all of us. This is commendable!

Because of the specific areas of the coin shown in the photos he posted I knew it was his opinion that the coin was a 1911-D with a "D" so weak it did not show at all in the photo. This variety is sometimes missed by dealers/collectors/and TPG's to the benefit of those more observant :greedy:.

Without a better photo we will never know for sure if PCGS miss-attributed this coin or not as the only diagnostic showing in the photos for an 11-D is the scalloped edge over "United." This is a "naked eye" diagnostic to alert a grader to look for a "D on this date." Unfortunately, some 1911-P's ALSO exist with a scalloped edge similar to this.

There is also a "hint" of the die polish from the eagle's beak. If the die polish is there, it is an 11-D "Weak D." IF IT IS NOT, it is an 11-P and is slabbed correctly.

In this case, @jwitten is probably going to be correct as TPGS's miss all sorts of things and cover many slips with "Mechanical Error." Without the coin in hand or better photos, we may never know for sure on this one. That's why I think we should be very careful when pointing out TPGS errors. Just saying...:)

jwitten likes this.
  21. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Never knew what a BIE was until today...another numismatic lesson learned from Coin Talk.

Draft saved Draft deleted