Do you purchased coins or only collect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Feb 19, 2021.

?

How have you acquired your coins?

1. 1. CRH, pocket change, gifts, trading, etc.

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. 2. 10% purchase

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. 3. 20% purchase

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4. 30-50% purchase

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. 5. Purchase only

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  6. 6. Metal Detecting

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Must be too many coin searchers out there. ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The last coin I actually purchased was when I was 16 years old. A guy in the neighborhood I knew was running away (same age as I was) and he sold all of his stuff for money. The coin I bought from him was the very last thing he had. He was asking $15 for a 1808 half dollar. The coin was not in the greatest shape. Pretty worn down from the typical circulation wear.

Mike Thornton and Robert Ransom like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

I would consider you to be in the #1 category.

5. almostgem

almostgem Junior Member

My wife used to get her father's change on a daily basis looking for silver, but that was back in the 60's and early 70's. My mother would get Kennedy halves from the bank and we saved the silver ones, but since we *My wife and I* started collecting in earnest, Everything has been purchased (about 1981 on) with an occasional purchase of a box of halves from the bank to search.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. VistaCruiser69

That's the one I voted for.

7. Robert Ransom

I am really surprised by the option #1 selection. :wideyed:

---by so many collectors.

8. Robert Ransom

This is a prime example of hitting the wrong key too soon. :(:mad:

9. VistaCruiser69

Perhaps the majority of "collectors" are of the casual type.

10. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Mostly all purchased since my collections include legacy coins celebrating heritage of Welsh and German. Will pass on collections to my daughter, preserving a small slice of history. U.S. coins feature Indian Head cents and Lincoln cents. Have found a few in circulation.

11. STU

STU Active Member

I collect them no matter where they come from buy them find them people give them i do buy alot as the ones i want will never be found in change and i try to get the best one i can afford

12. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I inherited hundreds of small coins, nickels, dimes, quarters. '64 and earlier on the Q and Ds, 1911-1945 on the nickels, and a bag full of '43 pennies, none copper, i checked. Couple silver half dollars, silver dollars, but nothing old in the silver dollars. Now i strictly hunt and find. I'll purchase soon enough, i tried with someone here (never heard back), but for now, i enjoy the immersion in the coins. I now know to look for 2019 w quarters, thanks to cointalk, so, thank you.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

When I was a kid, you could assemble a pretty good collection just through hunting through rolls and going through your change. Those were the days.

No more.

14. Robert Ransom

Thanks for the post and welcome aboard The CT Train.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I answered "purchase only", although to be precise probably 2% or so of my coins were either gifts or coins I brought home from foreign countries.

When I started collecting as child, it was all from pocket change and coin roll hunting to fill slots in Whitman albums, but I moved on from that many moons ago. If one doesn't collect date sets, which I don't, purchasing is about the only way to build a collection.

BuffaloHunter and Robert Ransom like this.
  16. Robert Ransom

Fore! I used to play Maxfli.

17. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

I did very much the same...maybe even starting earlier (sounds like) than when you did, as all coins of 10c, 25c, 50c, and $1 were silver...and of the latter, nothing but Morgans and Peace. I still have most all of them...several hundred...and most of those are MS from bank rolls back then, but now I've waited too long/late to have 'em graded now that I'm retired on fixed income. Not sure yet what I'm gonna do but gotta sell 'em somehow for my health and living expenses.

18. Robert Ransom

I sold 95% of my coins within the last few years and have but few left. Most of them have sentimental value. Over the past few years, I have rolled a mixture of old wheaties and LMC's,many in very good condition, then turned them into my local bank so the CRH'ers can have some fun. I'm running out of wheaties quickly, so within the next year or so, my offerings will cease.

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  19. VistaCruiser69

Obviously you aren't the only one that's doing this. The friend I have that works at the local gas station went to the bank to replenish the on-hand coin supply for the shop a few weeks ago. When he got back to the station I was there and he broke a penny roll open to give me my change. The entire roll was Wheaties and all were minted in San Francisco. The years were all between 1950 through 1958. They were all heavily worn like they slid around on the bottom of a drawer for decades. I gave him face value for the entire roll. I like to collect these type of pennies just for the fun of it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Robert Ransom and BuffaloHunter like this.
  20. Robert Ransom

Now you have to roll them and get them back into circulation.

21. VistaCruiser69

Nope. I collect them. Got a huge container full of just Wheaties.

Draft saved Draft deleted