Do you purchased coins or only collect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Feb 19, 2021.

?

How have you acquired your coins?

1. 1. CRH, pocket change, gifts, trading, etc.

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. 2. 10% purchase

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. 3. 20% purchase

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4. 30-50% purchase

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. 5. Purchase only

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  6. 6. Metal Detecting

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I was having a chat with a friend a few days ago and the subject of purchasing coins arose. He said he almost bid on a an eBay proof coin, but decided not to break his tradition of not purchasing proof or slabbed coins. His whole collection, (a few thousand) consists of coins gained from coin roll hunting, pocket change and random finds on the street. In my fifty plus years of coin collecting, I do not recall ever purchasing a coin. My collection was the result of gifts, CRH'ing, cashier swaps, coin trading and found coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I purchase coins all the time.

Mostly because you won't find the coins I collect in circulation.

I like the pre-1933 US coinage & Ancient Greek & Roman coinage but sadly that stuff left circulation long ago xD.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Most of my collection is from Inheritance , GIFTS , Pocket change and Purchases . I call it the "Motley Crew " Collection.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Ohh snap ! I forgot my Metal detecting finds . My Silver and Colonials especially !! 1856 3C silver-Obv.jpg 17531754Combo.jpg

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can't build a collection of uncirculated Morgan dollars by CRHing, and that pretty much holds true for every pre-1965 silver denomination.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have only purchased coins for a very long time. The last time I went through rolls was when I spotted $190 in silver at the bank and paid face value for it. I picked out the coins that had numismatic value and sold the rest for silver.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As a youngster I gleaned all my wonderful coins from change. I had a newspaper route so I always had change to plunder. And back then it was fairly common to find a whet cent or a silver coin in the batch. I did spend uncounted hours reading my Redbook and dreaming of have a "real" coin collection. After doing my duty and raising a herd of youngsters, yes I do now purchase those coins that I dreamed of fifty years ago. These days I am a 100% purchase what I want guy.

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

CRH/purchases/gifts for the holidays/inheritance.

kountryken and Robert Ransom like this.
  10. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I inherited a fine collection from my uncle when I was about 12 and ever since then it has been purchase only.

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Since I like silver coins and find maybe 1 a year in circulation I have no choice but to purchase them.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I only purchase slabbed coins (PCGS or NGC).
    I cannot recall the last time I pulled a coin right out of circulation.
    And for what I collect, roll searching makes no sense.
    The chance of finding 19th century coins in circulation is essentially zero.

capthank and Robert Ransom like this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

I guess I'm lucky I find at least a dozen silver coins and wheaties CRH per month

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I started in 1948 and was fortunate to be collecting in a time when all coins were readily available in circulation. I haven't bought or traded for coins for my collection for a long time. I only buy current stuff that can't be found in circulation. A good example is the Kennedy Half. I have to find a dealer with them each year.

15. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I had a paper route in the early 50's and received 95% of the weekly payments (obviously) in silver and wheaties. If only...

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I collect them and I'll take them any way I can. Gifts, purchased, found or any other way makes no difference to me.

17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Why wouldn't purchasing also be collecting? It's for the same purpose, right?

18. potty dollar 1878

No some people purchase coins just to flip them and try to get rich

Robert Ransom likes this.
  19. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I considered that but took the OP's question differently. Such as, do you only collect by hunting, finding, trading, detecting, gifts, etc., but never purchase. Or shorter, have you purchased coins for you collection. Clearly I was too quick to reply.
    Thanks,

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great question Robert, I chose three. Made me look at my mindset a bit closer, thanks. Be safe.

21. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

My start, back in the late fifties early sixties came from pocket change. I collected along with my dad, and neither one of us was all that serious about it.

I didn't start buying coins until my son inherited a bunch of coins from his grandfather. Since then, I've been spending money to buy money, and have been able to buy some interesting pieces you can't find in change anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted