Do you own coins which were rare when you bought them, but no longer due to NEW HOARDS ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Oct 11, 2019.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's one in Texas, if its the same I dunno

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Could be the remnants of it with younger guys who acquired the firm, but most likely just another firm using a common name.

I think I had the names of some of the principals/owners in my files....but I'm helping Mom next few days so it'll have to wait a few days. :D

Of course, David Akers worked for Paramount after he got back from Vietnam in the early-1970's. That I know.

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I do not believe the article said he bought that many, that was the amount the bank was willing to sell to him at that price they quoted him. After that, the quote was no good.

Paramount does sound familiar so you very well could be correct. Interesting articles, I wish I kept them handy but if I keep everything numismatic I get my office would be worst than it is.

GoldFinger1969 and ZoidMeister like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Interesting thread.

More to come?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

Many/most of the coins could have been quasi-bullion or AU or lower for many common coins. I doubt Paramount/Akers were interested in bullion coins, just those with some numismatic value. I could be wrong, so vets here can chime in.
    I wonder if they are on the Internet ? If you know the author, might be able to find some old archived webpages.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  7. GoldFinger1969

The only major hoard that is possibly on the horizon would be the RMS Republic which had thousands of Double Eagles as I understand it but they (1) can't find specific maps to locate where it sunk (2) it broke apart which means the coins could be strewn over a wide area and (3) 1 and 2 means it isn't financially viable.

There's been on-and-off talk of this for 30+ years. I think they're now soliciting $$$ from potential investors via a quasi-GoFundMe or something.

8. GoldFinger1969

Draft saved Draft deleted