Do you own coins which were rare when you bought them, but no longer due to NEW HOARDS ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Oct 11, 2019.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Rob Woodside, NSP and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think it's just the 1857-S Liberty DE, but as I understand it while the non-SSCA's have fallen in price over the years, the price premium has held up (for the most part) for the 1857 SSCAs.

I'd really like to see a price chart of BOTH going back to 2001. It would be really instructive because back then the price of gold was only $325/oz. or so. And everything from the SSCA sold at a rich premium, even if it didn't deserve to (the DEs should have sold at a premium, just not as rich as they came out at).

Maybe someone here collects Liberty DE's and has tracked the price movements over the last 20 years.

ldhair likes this.
  4. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

From what i understand , underwater recovered coin(s) are graded difficulty than one(s) that have nt been submerged

Can anyone throw some insight on it ?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Well, they basically get a details grade. Except for gold, as it doesn't generally tarnish in salt water.

Also, sometimes hoard discoveries create fresh demand, either through media coverage or the creation of a new category of collectible. For example, shipwreck collectors might not have collected California assayer ingots before they were recovered from the SS Central America. Now, even though the number of these ingots available in the market has sharply increased, the high premiums paid for the recovered ingots has driven the price of the previously known ones up too.

fiddlehead and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

Yup, it created a new market. Excellent point.

fiddlehead likes this.
  7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The most classic hoards gone bad in the Morgan series are the 1902o, 1904o, 1882cc, 1883cc, and 1884cc. Those CC dates were before the GSA horde was opened to the public. Those 5 dates of Morgans took the greatest beating.

kountryken and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

What about the 1903-O ?

9. GoldFinger1969

BTW, some good Hoard Stories in Bower's Red Book on Morgans. I also think he mentions them in his Double Eagle Red Book.

I actually am stuck on both books about half-way through and haven't finished so I'm going by memory. :D

10. Morgandude11

I don’t think it was ever valued to the degree that the 1902, or 1904 New Orleans were.

11. GoldFinger1969

The Red Book story and a link I have shows the 1903-O at $1,500 in the early-1960's. David Bowers said he had never even SEEN one up to that time.

fiddlehead likes this.
  12. Morgandude11

Ok. Another one to add to my list.

13. GoldFinger1969

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Fifty years ago, I believe the same thing happened with the 1950-D Jefferson nickel.

GoldFinger1969 and Morgandude11 like this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

Bowers mentions that in the Red Book section talking about the Morgan hoard.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  16. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Not a hoard, exactly, but a case where a scarce coin looks a lot like more common varieties. This is an 1809 C-1. Believed unique in 1960, about 15 were known in the mid-'80s. Enough have come out of the woodwork that now there are at least 65 known, and the price they bring at auction has dropped significantly. But dealers still have high prices on them.

Most people who have bought these, including me, lost money when they sold them. 1809 C1.jpg

17. Charles REid

Charles REid Active Member

Had a 1864 S $20 Liberty Head Gold before the discovery of a ship wreck off the Pacific coast. While I purchased it for $600 and sold it for twice as much, the value went from $600 to $2400 and back down.

Morgandude11 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Something to consider on the SS Central America. Before it was discovered, the number of MS type 1 Liberty Head double eagles was maybe a dozen known total for all dates combined.

In the Morgan dollars the 1898 O was also a major rarity before the early 60's releases from the Treasury.

In early large cents there were four varieties that were known as the Big 4, If you had ANY of them it was a big deal. The were S-48 the 1794 stared reverse, the 1794 Jefferson Head, 1803 S-264 Large date Small Fraction, and the 1807 S-276 Small 7/6. In 1949 when Sheldon wrote Early American Cents the S-264 was an R-7 coin with maybe 7 or 8 known. When Penny Whimsy came out in 1958 it was still a 6+ with maybe 12 to 15 known. today it's a 4- with close to 200 known. But for some reason it still lists at $5,000 in AG. (Normally a 4- would barely command much if any premium)

19. GoldFinger1969

Only a dozen ? I know it was a low number, but figured it was higher.

I forgot the reason why so few Mint State 1849-66 Double Eagles. Will hit Bowers' book this weekend.

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The Sheldon S-48, the 'Starred Reverse" you mention is an interesting example.
    Examples of this variety continue to be found at a relatively steady yearly rate from what I read (P.W). Something like 90 are now known, it is a R4+. Yet, it commands many multiples of what, say S-45 (R5+) commands.....the attraction of those whimsical stars, I guess....

21. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Great post. The wealth of information that came out of it is awesome. Thanks for starting it and to all who replied.

kountryken, Bayern, GeorgeM and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted