Do you like some patina on your silver coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gam3rBlake, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I know some people like them to be super bright, frosty, white and full of luster but personally I like a decent amount of patina to give it that “aged” look.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Depends what you mean by patina. Light fringe toning is nice. Encrustation is not

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Can I ask a question here ? Is toning on a Silver coin called Patina ? Or something else ? :rolleyes:

5. Gam3rBlake

I think toning is just pretty patina.

capthank and Cheech9712 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

I agree it can be incredible at times .

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Gam3rBlake

What about like light toning across the whole coin? Or do you mean the edges only?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Active Member

Without an example I'm not sure what OP idea of patina would be. To me this is what I call and like as a dark patina of silver.

Screenshot_20210111-015929_(1).png

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I hate “MONSTER” toning where it looks like someone spray painted the coin. Fringe toning is good, light overall toning is nice. Psychedelic multi colors is ugly and not attractive to me

10. SensibleSal66

I like my SBA toning . As long as it's not blotchy black . I like colors . Exhibit A . imageedit_3_4314019459.jpg

Matthew Kruse and Molon Labe like this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

Let me clarify:

In my opinion I define “patina” as any natural change in the appearance of the coin not done intentionally.

Basically any changes in the color of the coin. I’m sure my definition doesn’t make 100% sense but you get the idea.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

13. Oklahomacoinguy

Oklahomacoinguy Active Member

Absolutely. Well I guess it depends on what coin it is, like to me peace dollars look odd of they are not blast white. But I love old crusty us gold, and nice original silver. If a bright white capped bust half appeared I would pass over it for a coin with nice original toning any day of the week.

SchwaVB57 and okbustchaser like this.
  14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Welcome Oklahomacoinguy. We Okies need to stick together.

As for patina...yes, I like it. Of course, with what I collect I had better.

Heavymetal and SchwaVB57 like this.
  15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'll take some patina on my pre 65 silver coins. Just looks right.
    I can accept coins that are blast white if they still have good luster, but I'll still generally choose the coin that has some color, and doesn't look freshly dipped.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Patina is kind of ok. Patina is the outer surface aging naturally. Copper darkens, silver tones, gold does nothing, (the impurities in the gold alloy is what darkens gold, either that or environmental deposits). How we use the word patina for ancients all modern coins are too young. Patina for ancient coins is the hard encrustation that protects the underlying metal. It takes untold centuries to form this.

Problem is, "patina" for modern coins is not stable like it is for ancients. Ancients are formed underground, mainly away from oxygen, so it forms, stabilizes, then protects the coin. Patina for modern coins is exposed to oxygen, so it can easily convert to corrosion, especially silver. Many people here know the color spectrum of toning, but not enough talk about the end. At the end it turns a shiny black. MAYBE the coin underneath is still ok, maybe not. After that it is what I call "matte black". There is no hope the coin is not severely damaged underneath "matte black" toning. It is full out corrosion. Silver toning is ok, I find it pretty, but you simply MUST stop it from progressing if you want to save the coin. Keep it in a very dry, cool area with dessicant away from sunlight and sulfur sources.

Btw @GDJMSP will probably disagree that gold does not tone. It is one of the very few things I have ever disagreed with Doug about. I have friends who have metal detected around the world, and they claim they have always dug up pure gold coins and they come out of the ground completely clean, be it 200 years old or 2400 years old. Pure gold coinage cannot tone. Now, the imperfections in the alloy sure can, and the modern world can surely deposit microscopic layers upon unprotected coins layer upon layer until it might appear to be toning, but that is the extent IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  17. Rob Woodside

Rob Woodside Member

A toned silver coin is a damaged coin! An irridescent uniform purple tone may be very attractive, but it is the death throe of a coin strangled by sulfur.

Molon Labe likes this.
  18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I like my circulated coins to have even wear and natural patina. I want my MS coins to be as clean as when they left the mint.

19. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Did someone say patina??? Screenshot_20210107-213034.png Screenshot_20210107-212917.png Screenshot_20201013-120458.png Screenshot_20201015-134854.png Screenshot_20201015-134919.png Screenshot_20201015-135740.png Screenshot_20201015-135800.png Screenshot_20201011-205752.png Screenshot_20201011-205817.png Screenshot_20201011-205644.png

dwhiz, Kurisu, Derrick Combs and 3 others like this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a fancy way of saying "toning" which in turn is a kind way of saying "tarnish." They all three are the same thing.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Toning = Tarnish but is not always = patina. Patina is a defensive measure an item creates to protect itself. Toning/tarnish is the beginning of this for silver. However, its fragile and can go sideways into corrosion. Ancient coin patina is rock hard. We handle our ancient coins freely since the patina of the coin protects it and it will not do any damage.

That is why I was a little hesitant with the term patina earlier in the thread. Its tricky for "modern" coins, coins only a couple of hundred of years old. Personally I use toning on "moderns", and patina on ancients. Somewhere in the middle ages is where I would switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted