Do you know the approximate value of your collection?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jul 29, 2015.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not to mention the Fruit Loops.

They need more fiber. Maybe they could have some of Franks Wheaties?

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

My common wheaties are pretty much gone into change.... perhaps one or two will make there way to someone who has never seen one and will start to collect coins because of that.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sighs aloud and the REALLY bad puns.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

UnknownComic.jpg

6. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I started the face value thing because there is no way I would ever publicly advertise the value of my collection.

spirityoda, jwitten and green18 like this.
  7. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

The value of mine is shrinking every day as I sell it off piece by piece.... :(

8. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

The value of my collection is the entertainment value and educational value it provides to my grandchildren and to me. While I do keep up with monetary value of my collection, it is not of primary concern to me.

spirityoda and jwitten like this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

sgt23 and Jwt708 like this.
  10. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

The closest I came to this was calculate the melt value of all my 90% silver coins which is futile since I would never consider selling some coins at melt.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, I do not know the approximate value of my collection.

13. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

For the posters that think we are overboard for cataloging everything...it a nice to have when you sell as you can have proof of where you bought it and pedigree...just easier to sell...if you never plan on selling then I guess you wouldn't care.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When the IRS gets in the middle of your stuff, you will be thankful you have good records.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The OP's question was, "do you know the approximate VALUE of your collection?" A thing's value is the emotional high you get when you interact with it. On the other hand, a collection's WORTH is the dollar amount you could exchange it for. We've all been answering the wrong question, or the right question in the wrong way.
    [End of today's semantics lesson]

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-value-and-vs-worth/

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

That is one site.

Here is the dictionary definition of worth: equivalent in value to the sum or item specified.

And (one of the) definitions of Value: estimate the monetary worth of (something)

I cannot believe I am falling into your trap.. haha

17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I would think the opposite would be true. I don't admit to anything; good policy for government agencies and wives.

Hommer likes this.
  18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

By that definition, what is the value of a relationship with your spouse?

19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

As others have done, you can link a cell to a web page for the current value. Say you paid $800 for a AU53 1870 Dollar and have that $800 in a cell labeled Paid. You could link that cell to "http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...d-47/1870-s1-ms-53-price-history-coinid-16963" to get the current price. I know you might like a link to return a dollar figure but you have to go with what you can.

20. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

While I keep up with everything I buy, I count the worth amount at about 75% of what I paid. I do not expect to make money. If I am not concerned about making money, The hobby is more enjoyable.

21. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

So, even if I know how much I paid, I still can't answer the question, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted