Do you know the approximate value of your collection?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I have tried every equation I can think of. All have an unknown constant that has to be equal to, or close to zero for the results to be what I'm getting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It's interesting so many are responding with the face value of the collection, not the sales price or purchase price value.

4. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Nope, Don't wanna know, b/c I over paid for every coin I own..:shame:

spirityoda, Kentucky and medjoy like this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's ok Frank, we all know you're a millionaire from your book sales alone. 71_71.gif Compared to your successful book sales your collection is small potatoes. laughhard.gif

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:angelic:

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Excellent, you should have outstanding coins in your collection, whereas collectors bragging about great deals are probably buying dogs.

I have an Excel spreadsheet which includes the NGC book value for each coin. I don't need to make a profit so I do not care about the purchase price. In 30 years from now I'll know if I've bought the right coins or not ;-)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    bkozak33 likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have been using Coin Elite for 20 something years. It lets me sort and run a summary almost anyway I wish. I buy the value updates every few years. The prices are all over the place. Some are high and others are low. On average it's close to retail. The cost value is exact. I figure the sell value is about 60% of retail.

9. Treashunt

I've also used CE for about 10+ years, if you don't like the value, they can be changed.

[Not you, Larry, the you meaning the user.]

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

True. You can change the value. If you add something to the variety/desc field the value updates won't know what it is and won't change the value back to what's normal. That helps with rare varieties that are not in the built in list of coins.

It's such a cool program. I have an exact accounting of every coin I have ever bought or sold. I get sick when I look back at what I sold some coins for but that's all part of the game.

11. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

Yes I do...I wrote a complex excel spreadsheet that has tabs for PMs, Coins, charts, that gives me live time updates on Silver, gold, GSR, etc. It has columns for what I spent plus shipping and I keep track of every sent. Hell it even has an average dollar spent per oz in silver bullion. I wrote this because there is really nothing good out there. The only thing it doesn't do is update the current value of coins for numismatics which would be nice if there was an online database for that.

I based my spreadsheet after the one available from graspthewealth.com and modified it for my needs.

Vess1 and treylxapi47 like this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I haven't a clue.

13. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Just wondering, if you are one of those that keep track of all of that, can your peas touch your carrots?

gronnh20, -jeffB and spirityoda like this.
  14. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Lol! I don't think it is obsessive or anything to track how much you have spent. I think it is smart. Especially if you try to earn a profit from your collection. Or in my case, if you tell your wife you are adding to your collection again, but you always come out ahead when you sell :)

15. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Actually, I record every coin with specifics in a simple windows spread sheet. Who I got it from, cost, shipping and comments. I put a ** next to the date until I rec it. I have a formula at the bottom that will give me total cost with just a click.

jwitten likes this.
  16. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

OOOOh! I don't expect too many collectors want anyone knowing how much they paid, or how much its all worth. But, since I don't like secrets (ha, ha), I will tell. I can't recall how much I paid for what I have now, because I bought my current coins over a period of several years, sold many others, mostly at losses. If I liquidated my collection now, I expect to get around $10,000+. About 75% of this value would be from my 14 gold and 5 platinum coins. Nothing too impressive I am sorry to say.

17. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

A Million Dollars.............................................................I wish.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You bet it's cataloged. Every coin. Every dollar. I keep track of what I paid. No sense in what's it worth as I have no plans to sell, not even a common date wheat penny. I just buy and hold.

Gilbert and jwitten like this.
  19. Treashunt

Well, I'd dump my Wheaties, any time

20. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

:happy:Nope, just what I paid for it.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Never realized we had so many anal-retentives on the forum : - )

Draft saved Draft deleted