Do you know the approximate value of your collection?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jul 29, 2015.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Got to thinking about this today. I have everything recorded, so could look it up, but do not know it off the top of my head. Do you know the approximate value of your collection, both price paid, and what you think it is now worth?

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

Around $5,000-$7,000. I'm young [emoji23]

Daniel Jones and jwitten like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd rather not think of it in terms of price paid or what it might be worth when it comes time to sell. When that time does come, I'm sure there will be some items that sell for more, some about the same as what I paid and some for less. I can't change any of that!

Chris

spirityoda, coinzip, Kasia and 2 others like this.
  5. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

6. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Should have all the old receipts from the 90's, would take WAY too long to figure out the profit.

I am going to document some of them when I wrap things up though.

Total Collection (including what I sold) is probably going to end up netting ~$XXXK-$XXXK total value. Profit, potentially over $XXXk ($XXk Profit from 2011 ASE set alone).

The only sad thing is there is probably only 25% of that total value left and my pockets are empty :arghh:

As Chris was alluding to, its all about average net cost and I am WAY ahead of that one.

edit: in short, yes, I do, but an estimate, not exact. My Father hoarded Gold and Silver in the ~sub $500/oz and $5/oz range.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I once added the different denominations of my Certified NGC Coins. I lost the total. But I have been wanting to price my entire coin collection of US coins both error and non-error. The world coins would be harder to price and my metal detecting finds is enormous so it would take some time.

8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

My Pro-Coin 2013 software did a good job of keeping track of all the coins I entered into it. Until they went out of business 2 years ago. Therefore there is NO updating the software, but still can enter some 2013 coins and all the older coins , but I have to determine current value for them.

Pro-Coin-2013_Values-snip.JPG

jwitten and EasyE418 like this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No idea, really. Just about everything I have either came in with something else, coin or non coin, that has been sold at a profit, so in effect whatever I have cost me nothing. Over the years the things you don't find every week sort of mount up, so I have partly a collection and partly a hoard. Of unknown value.

10. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Nice margin there. Even if you take out 25% (for seller's fee and over-pricing your coins), you still make out like a bandit.

3,421 individual coins will be a TALL order to sell though.

Wonderful collection.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I only collect gold and silver coins, some being worth 3-4x melt.....lots of pre 33 gold and modern MS70s.....I value my collection at melt, the price I could get tomorrow without even trying, selling it all in one lot...I could probably get 1.5x melt if I grined them out, if all goes well in life it's doesn't matter because I'm never selling.

Big-Greek and HunterOhlsen like this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, I know.

and, nope, I ain't telling.

13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Wow, very nice profit! I have done well with my collection, but not that well. I am always buying and selling, and if I like a coin enough, I set it aside until I get the price I really want. My collection has grown because of that.

14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Got all that info stored at PCGS, on my registry set.

My 15 coins are worth $325.50....I paid $780.00 for them.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not actually profit until you sell and net that much. Not saying he won't, but I always thought my coin elite was a little high in some cases and low in others. Now all I track is what I spent - so it is close, but not every coin makes the spreadsheet. I should move them across, but haven't.

jwitten likes this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have never seen even 1 collection software program with its built in values that was actually anywhere close to reality.

17. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I agree. Most of them are close to Red Book and PCGS Price Guide fantasy prices.

18. McBlzr

61 years of collecting coins. So yes, the value spread to cost covers may key coins from years long ago.

But yes, I agree with Doug, the software probably used inflated values.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm in Frank's Will.........

20. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

And to Ken, I leave my circulated state quarters... :p
    just kidding.

rooman9, green18 and gronnh20 like this.
  21. McBlzr

I leaving Ken a 2001 Silver Buffalo P & D set with Milk Spots, that probably came from him drooling over them over the internet from my pics.

Laughing_Teeth.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted