Do you know of any other hobbies that rival ours?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by joecoincollect, Nov 16, 2014.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would categorize this list more as activities than hobbies. Hobbies are a passion than keep the mind occupied even when not actively doing it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I agree that there is a distinction between activities and hobbies but sometimes the two overlap.

My love for long distance running has allowed me to accumulate a large collection of medals from various races, some of them dating back to the 1990's.

I also can never travel enough to be satisfied, so I have quite a large collection of coffee table books and Starbuck's mugs from around the world.

4. Miko W

Miko W Active Member

Been a long time since I really collected anything. I collected stamps as a kid, and comic books into high school. I still read comics, and tons of books, but have little to no interest in collecting them actively. I guess since high school I've collected music primarily, but that's all just data on a drive now. I like shooting guns and shooting pool, but have little time for either.

Coin collecting just seems like an adult hobby that I can enjoy the rest of my life, and since my parameter on my collection is precious metals only, I feel someone will be happy to have them someday.

5. debordj

debordj Debo

A very interesting question indeed. What rivals coin collecting? Most are talking to what their passions are, but what rivals the coin world is a tough one.

At first I thought of a few potentials:

- Car Collecting
    - Art Collecting
    - Gun Collecting

All have very high end examples that rival the rare and expensive world of coin collecting, but none have the lower end potential. You can collect coins literally for pennies on the dollar or spend in the millions. You can't buy a car for a penny, pick one up off the street and you will get arrested but you can find a penny in the gutter and collect it. Art - may be the closest because you could make your own for low $s. Guns - high prices, but also no low fund examples.

So some others:

- Sports Card collectors - no where near the history as coins or longevity.
    - Comics - not bad...been around longer than Sports Cards but the high end is limited.
    - Books - this could be the closest to coins. Lots of collectors, low end ability and high end classes. Lots of history.

So, that is my assessment - Book Collecting is about the closest that I can think of. Is the digital book to their collecting what the Bitcoins are to ours (joking).

Miko W likes this.
  6. coins776

coins776 no title

the op says that he feels sorry for those who don't collect coins, well, those of us who collect coins are the people who are pathetic, not the people who don't collect.

micbraun likes this.
  7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I think I understand WHY you are saying that, but many of us have completely full lives outside our coin hobby. Wives, children, careers, friends, other interests, clubs, athletics (not me), etc.

So, I dont consider myself pathetic at all, more of a normal family man who also happens to be a coin-freak on the side.

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

coins776 seems to be a 'glass completely empty' kind of guy.

coins776 likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Huh? Then why do you collect if this is how you feel?

Ya think?

10. Miko W

Miko W Active Member

You are only pathetic if you wear a PCGS t-shirt to family functions and walk around offering to buy pocket change from family members. That's my line in the sand.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yeah, I always wanted a 63 'vette . . . I finally broke down and bought one . . . 1/32 scale.

x115 and treylxapi47 like this.
  12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I mentioned fishing, well here are two of the nicer muskies I caught during this year's canadian trip. I caught 7 muskies that week, 4 over 40". It was my best Muskie fishing trip ever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're the fish of 10,000 casts, but when you do manage to get one to bite, they're a whole lot of fun!

13. coins776

coins776 no title

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Big bastard!

JPeace$ and torontokuba like this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The fish is impressive too. :D

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I caught this Muskie and the 1st one posted about a half hour apart. It was after dinner. This one hit my topwater bait like a nuclear missile! It came from straight underneath and launched vertical. It's 42" long as well and it was a foot out of the water. Think of the Jaws picture. That's how this one came out of the water. COMPLETELY vertical. I've never seen it happen like this. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. It hit about 20 yards from the boat!

[​IMG]

Mainebill likes this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but Muskie fishing is another passion of mine! Hours of boredom at times, but when you get one, well the adrenaline starts pumping and it can be pure chaos!

Mainebill likes this.
  18. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Collected stamps as a kid but the USPS ruined that. Started my coin collection as a kid too along with Commemorative Coke Bottles. I also like cars, specifically the 80s turbo Chrysler products plus a few others. Can't afford to do much with cars. Coke has started wrapping most bottles so I've lost interest in that. So I collect my coins and I love to read.

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Well I love fishing mostly brook trout and bass but I have caught muskies before as well as stripers and other fish I love to hunt I love guns I own quite a few tho I wouldn't say I collect them but surprisingly coins are number 2!! A passion of mine but Im a major collector and dealer of pre 1830 American furniture artwork and accessories for the last 21 years this as well as my custom woodwork business (furniture and house restoration) has paid my bills

JPeace$ likes this.
  20. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I enjoy macro photography, graphic design, skiing, wakeboarding, snow
    mobiles, motorcycles......

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So, what's your favorite macro subject, besides the obvious? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted