Do you know of any other hobbies that rival ours?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by joecoincollect, Nov 16, 2014.

1. x115

x115 Collector

I also like exercising. which includes working out and martial arts. I like laying some kicks on my punching dummy named BOB.

I also snowboard, hike, and fish

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I'm not sure if UFOs would fall into the category of nonfiction.

spirityoda, joecoincollect and Jwt708 like this.
  4. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Mine... a little woodworking, although got away from that for awhile due to being busy with family, but will be getting the shop back in service soon. Metal detecting, something my wife discovered and now something we share. The only other thing, I collect is the small (matchbox/hot wheels-size) ambulances.

joecoincollect likes this.
  5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I never thought of exercise, (in my case running), or even relaxation; as a hobby. I always envisioned them in the category of physical and mental well being, basically because they maintain the health of your body. To some, it can be a necessity; to others a preventative or just good common sense. I guess I can add running to my earlier list as well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    x115 likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Hey I was about to say that!!! :)

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Do unidentified flying objects exist? Not necessarily "flying saucers", simply items that you--the observer--cannot readily name? If so, then yes, UFOs are non-fiction.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"Do you know of any other hobbies that rival ours?"

Nope.

But, there are other hobbies, just not as good.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A little side hobby of mine as well. I have liked tractors since getting to operate a crawler to take out some trees when I was about 4-5 years old. My favourite models are the Cat Crawlers, would like to find one of the Benjamin Holt models of the steam era tractors sometime.

Korh98 likes this.
  10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I just Googled popular hobbies & got this list. Coin collecting did not make the top 50 but somehow "dating online" is a hobby. o_O

Reading was actually #1 in this list but it didn't copy properly.
    1. Watching TV
    2. Family Time
    3. Going to Movies
    4. Fishing
    5. Computer
    6. Gardening
    7. Renting Movies
    8. Walking
    9. Exercise
    10. Listening to Music
    11. Entertaining
    12. Hunting
    13. Team Sports
    14. Shopping
    15. Traveling
    16. Sleeping
    17. Socializing
    18. Sewing
    19. Golf
    20. Church Activities
    21. Relaxing
    22. Playing Music
    23. Housework
    24. Crafts
    25. Watching Sports
    26. Bicycling
    27. Playing Cards
    28. Hiking
    29. Cooking
    30. Eating Out
    31. Dating Online
    32. Swimming
    33. Camping
    34. Skiing
    35. Working on Cars
    36. Writing
    37. Boating
    38. Motorcycling
    39. Animal Care
    40. Bowling
    41. Painting
    42. Running
    43. Dancing
    44. Horseback Riding
    45. Tennis
    46. Theater
    47. Billiards
    48. Beach
    49. Volunteer Work
    I personally enjoy fishing, boating, music & theater. I also enjoy travel which is evidenced by all the stamps in my passports.

joecoincollect likes this.
  11. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

What do you know, mine didn't make the top 50 either.

Dollar bill origami.

[​IMG]

12. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

You know cashing in coins at the bank is a rival hobby to ours!!! :)

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Team sports #13 and watching sports only #25, really?

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Peter T Davis likes this.
  15. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Haha. Surely I'll be able find a job armed with new shiny new degree_ And I ___.jpg

Well, looks like it's even a real college class... Sorta...

bsowa1029 likes this.
  16. Effigy303

Effigy303 Well-Known Member

I also collect tin toys and political campaign items. But as far a hobby that rivals our passion for collecting coins I think my wife's "baby wearing" hobby is on par. She's on like 4 or 5 forums and tons of FaceBook groups. She probably spends more time per day on her hobby than mine. Although it can't last too much longer since our daughter is six months.

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Although coin collecting is my favorite hobby, I also like to collect non sports cards such as Batman, Tarzan, and Star Trek.

spirityoda likes this.
  18. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I collect coins, old interesting bottles, guns, money, and historical items from my fraternity that are no longer available.

Those are material items that I actively collect, however I enjoy physical activity as well and usually like to: hike, boat, fish, run, swim, shoot some hoops, work, and spend time with my friends.

19. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

My obsessive collecting started with my fraternity stuff. I was buying books, magazines, pins, jewelry, manuals, etc. At this point I have nearly enough information/material to work on writing our 125th anniversary history book (which is a very real goal of mine), and doubt there are many other similar collections in private hands that could rival mine. To this day I am still the main purchaser of anything rare or interesting that turns up on ebay or amazon.

20. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Well I could mean literally what UFO spells out, and that doesn't have to mean little aliens flying in them or controlling them remotely. Things fly up there without being identified all the time. It's empirical, therefore not fiction. Even the govt's own official studies showed that a significant percentage of reports thoroughly investigated were unidentified. However, I tend to think otherworldly intelligence is involved in UFOs and other unexplained phenomena--ie abductions.

21. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

The only way a hobby could rival coin collecting is if it was equal or greater in popularity, completely free and offered a superior variety of subject matter. The only thing close to that description are crown caps. Breweries already engage these collectors with freebies, just pay the postage. Any kid on the globe, even third world and homeless can find a place where the local drunks hang out (park bench, under bridge, etc.) and pick up a variety of hobby starters. I've never considered it, but, I have a friend who likes coins and crown caps. These guys are pros, with pages, binders, drawers, cabinets, etc. The items I've ordered for this friend include entire sport team crown cap sets in hockey, football and olympics. This hobby is huge.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted