Do you know of any other hobbies that rival ours?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by joecoincollect, Nov 16, 2014.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I sometimes feel sorry for people that don't collect coins. I wonder what other joy can fill their lives. Do you have other hobbies that rival your coin collecting one, or do you know of some? For me, I also like to read nonfiction (mainly politics, current events, UFOs, etc.) and love drawing. But nothing I know of rivals my passion for the king of all hobbies! Of course I gotta family and one kid, but family doesn't count as a hobby.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

No, it's a fact that all other hobbies are inferior.

4. Korh98

Korh98 Member

I like reading books and I collect farm toys.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    joecoincollect likes this.
  5. joecoincollect

What do you mean by farm toys? You mean like john deer tractor toys? What got you into those?

6. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Firearms Collecting

7. Korh98

Korh98 Member

Yep, John Deere, Case, etc. The ones I collect are between a couple dollars and around fifty dollars. Most of my friends are farmers and my uncle is a farmer. There are corn fields on all four side of our land(with the road in there too).

8. joecoincollect

That's cool. I read a little about hot wheels the other day and it appears quite a few people collect those, especially the classics and limited mintage ones.

9. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I also collect stamps, baseball cards and some art and antiques. Dunno if any of those 'rival' coin collecting in the larger sense.

10. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I'd say the top three hobbies goes coin collecting, falconry, recreational cartography (in that order). Everything after that is a complete waste of time.

11. joecoincollect

Never heard of falconry or rec cartography. As for stamps, cards, comics, and antiques, I see them when I go hunting for coins but I never waste more than 5 or 10 dollars on them. Coins seem to withstand the test of time, as I'm sure you all know. But of course making careful purchases is what is key, and perhaps the same goes for all other collectibles. I just seem to make smarter or more luckier purchases with coins

bdunnse likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I played pool for 55 years, and I made one heck of a lot more money at pool.

Chris

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I was into astronomy for almost 60 years. The cold weather and encroaching lights from civilization eventually won out. The telescope was too burdensome for traveling. I had to keep driving further out from town for clear skies. It weighed over 300 lbs but was sectional. The top part with all the glass, was about 150 lbs. To lift it by myself eventually became too much. I found it to be a hobby that was very mentally rewarding, especially with all the new discoveries making the news every day. I sold the main unit to a gentleman in Texas and some of my eyepieces to the Melbourne Observatory in Australia.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    -jeffB, JPeace$, imrich and 3 others like this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

JPeace$ likes this.
  15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I always thought video gaming was as popular of a hobby as this one. I myself do play lots of games (although I tend to stick to older ones most of the time). Just about every friend I've made owns at least a few video game consoles in their household and a stack of games.

Coins are #1 for me still. Both for the collection that I can't stop staring at when in my bedroom and also for my future that I know will be payed off nicely because of it. (Or I could just keep everything and pass to the next generation..)

On a side note, one of my hobbies is also weather (I don't really want to become a TV meteorologist but I love watching storms and I want to start chasing some day!). This hobby though is not nearly as common with people as the coin or game hobby.

17. Although I don't have one yet I think metal detecting would be a fun hobby and could be just as rewarding.

18. joecoincollect

Very interesting to hear all the variety in interests. I've done a little sky gazing, tons of video gaming before my son came along and then coins!), and I got a metal detector collecting dust. I've seen a few youtube videos of people finding silver coins and stuff from old buildings on private lands, etc. It's very difficult though to find a place in Southern California. Public lands seem to have strict rules on messing with the ground, I heard the beaches are already visited by dozens of others, and old historical areas and open lands aren't by me. One day it'll happen I hope

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I also am a bird watcher. Coins n birds. Annoys the heck out of my wife.

medjoy likes this.
  20. joecoincollect

It could be a lot worse, you know, if you were looking a lot at other things...

21. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

Golf in the summer, hunt in the fall and coin collect in the winter but keep dabbling during summer and fall. Always on the lookout 24/7 though.

ijconnor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted