Do you keep impaired proof and NIFC half dollars you find CRHing?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by myownprivy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

When we hunt for silver we are going to come across all sorts of other stuff: impaired proofs, gold plated halves, halves with stickers commemorating someone, not intended for circulation years, and other unusual half dollars. Do you keep these? Or, do you try to sell them? Or, do you dump them back with the other halves?

I ask because at this point I am sure I have close to $50 worth of clad halves that just don't mean a whole lot to me but I saved because of how unusual they were.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Nope. I throw most of that clad junk back. I have kept a few nice commemorative clads though.

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I return them and write "searched" on the wrapper.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I save the proofs just for fun. Got one half from a slot machine in Vegas.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Those were yours I was searching?? You missed a few DDO's!! :hilarious:

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Hope they weren't in the rolls I returned. lol :playful:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I don't get a chance to search a lot of half dollars. If I do get any, I usually save them for the day I start a blue whitman book. I use the blue whitmans for circulation finds.
    SOOOOOO happy to hear you don't mark the coins themselves!!!

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

that's very thoughtful of you! Saves others from wasting their time slogging through some useless rolls

11. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I don't search for silver. If silver happens, then silver happens.

And really, there is no such thing as NIFC. If the mint did not intend to circulate the coins and only wanted to place them within special sets or rolls or bags to sell for profit, then they certainly would not produce them in the quantities that they do. They are kept until such time that the demand from the Fed requires them to be sent. So, they are most certainly intended for circulation. [/Rant]

But, in any case, it sounds like you are already collecting the other stuff. Why did you collect them? Because of how unusual they were. And, yes, I also keep those unusual pieces myself as well. But, not just because they are unusual. These unusual pieces can be used to bite others and infect them with the coin collecting virus. Young or old, it doesn't matter. All it takes is using these pieces and showing them off to others telling them they can find cool stuff like it themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted