Do you have this 1942 dime?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Collect89, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are four 1942 dimes with some doubling on the obverse. Two are from Philadelphia & two are from San Francisco. If you have any examples of similar doubling on 1942 dated dimes, please post them.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Post your 1942 dimes.

Post your 1942 dimes.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

4. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

I have never seen this "doubling" on this year Merc. Rather interesting. Where oh where did you acquire these coins, if I maybe be so bold as to ask?

Here is a BU example I have in my collection. I love BU Mercury's, I truly do!

Thanks for sharing!

Allen

Attached Files:

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It looks to me that some of the doubling that is shown is from deteriorated dies not doubled dies.

6. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I have had several similar to the ones you posted but probably sold hem long ago! These are due to Die Deterioration Doubling and Machine Doubling.

Frank

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Allen,

I found one when I was sorting through some bulk silver about 20 years ago. I was given one (for free) by a Connecticut coin dealer that I had helped price some error coins he had acquired. I purchased the double profile for the price of an uncirculated dime at a Chicago suburb coin show. I paid $5 for one at a Connecticut coin show a couple years ago.

Last year I saw one improperly labeled/described as a "doubled die" in a dealer's case in Florida. It had an asking price of $120. He wasn't interested in selling it to me for $5 or $10.

Very best regards,
    collect89

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

that is strike (aka Machine) doubling, not a DDO.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Do you have similar examples to share

Hello Frank & Frank,

Yes, they are all examples of strike doubling. I would like to know if anyone has similar 1942 dated examples to share.

These 4 coins jumped out at me & I set them aside. I think all of us focus on the date when we see a 1941 or 42 dime looking for an overdate. This doubling is visible with the naked eye.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

10. fastfun1111

fastfun1111 Senior Member

Here is a 1942 I have with some MD but not as dramatic as yours.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted