Do you have a WAM or CAM? Here is how to tell.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MontCollector, Jan 22, 2018.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I have noticed a few new members wondering if the have a WAM (Wide AM) or CAM (Close AM) on the Lincoln Cents. This has made me think it may be helpful to post an easy to use guide to tell the difference between the 2.

First off let's talk about the years this particular variety pertains to.

From 1992 and earlier it is normal to have a WAM on your business strike Lincoln Memorial Cent, or LMC for short. From 1993-2008 it is normal to have a CAM on your business strike LMC.

1992 P&D- Some 1992 LMCs were accidentally minted with the new CAM reverse that was being released in 1993. This created the valuable 1992 LMC CAM variety and is also known as a transitional error. So for 1992 you are looking for CAMS not WAMS.

If you find a 1992 LMC with a CAM reverse, it is your lucky day and you could have yourself a very valuable coin.

1998P thru 2000P- Some LMC business strikes minted in Philadelphia these years were accidentally minted with the proof reverses. This created the much sought after WAM varieties for these years. So for the business strikes of these years (from Philly only) you are looking for the WAM reverses.

Though not as valuable as the 1992 CAMS these are still worth a few bucks in high grade and are fun to find.

1998S thru 2000S Proofs- Some San Francisco Mint Proofs of these years were accidentally minted with the Business strike reverses. This created the CAM varieties for these years on proof coins. On a Proof Strike LMC of these years a WAM reverse is normal so you are looking for a CAM reverse.

Not too sure about the value on these, but I have seen the 1999S CAM proof sell for over $50 on another website.

Now how the heck do I tell the difference you ask? Well let me make this simple. There are 3 markers to look for.

First lets take a look at the "AME" in America on the reverse. AMvsAM.jpg
    The photo above shows the difference between the two. A CAM reverse will have the "M" almost touching the "A". While the WAM reverse will have the "M" centered between the "A" and "E".

Next we will look the the initials "FG" on the reverse. You can find these on the right side of the memorial. Yes they are very small. FGvsFG.jpg

You will notice 2 things here. The WAM reverse has the initials sitting a little closer to the memorial and also has the serifs on the "G".

When you look on the LMC variety websites they tend to tell you to just look at the 2 marker above. Well on some coins this may not be enough. Not to mention the "FG can be really hard to tell the difference between the two. Especially for those with bad eyesight like me. For this reason I use a third marker. Actually I usually use this next one as my second marker to look for as it is MUCH easier to see.

I will next draw your attention to the word STATES on the reverse. Well more the "TAT" CAMvsWAM.jpg
    You will notice on a CAM the "A" is closer to the "T" to the right. A WAM will have the "A" more centered between the "T"s . I'm not sure why the guides don't mention this difference, but it is plain as day and a really easy tell.

All Photos were taken by yours truly using a 2000P WAM LMC and a 2000P CAM LMC from my personal collection. Feel free to download any of them for your own files.

That's about it for the LMC WAM and CAM varieties. I hope you found this helpful and informative.

Thanks for reading...Mont;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Dearborn, Mark479, LA_Geezer and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Excellent information.. Thanks!

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. MontCollector

Thanks @paddyman98 :happy:

That means a lot coming from you.

On another note. This is the 1st time I have actually looked at the WAM "FG" above this close. Does it look doubled to you? The line on the "F" is what is making me ask.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's a 1999-S, Which is a CAM .
    upload_2018-1-22_4-58-23.jpeg upload_2018-1-22_4-58-47.jpeg

upload_2018-1-22_4-59-8.jpeg upload_2018-1-22_4-59-35.jpeg

upload_2018-1-22_4-59-54.jpeg

upload_2018-1-22_5-0-13.jpeg

6. paddyman98

Could be from Die Deterioration Doubling.. The evidence is the nice Die Crack right below it.

MontCollector likes this.
  7. MontCollector

Ahh okay. Still looking for my first LMC Doubled Die. It will have to be an obvious one for my eyes to see it.

Thanks for the photos @Rick Stachowski . How about a close-up of the "TAT" is states?

8. bettann

bettann Member

I found a very grated up 1998 Lincoln that I think is a WAM, but because of its condition, it's probably not worth anything. The 2000 WAM that I have matches your pictures. Thanks for taking time to share the info and pics. It's very helpful. Does the mint grate up coins when they are errors? Or do you think it happened in circulation. I find a lot of these types of coins.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. paddyman98

Your Cent is pure circulation damage. The coins that are found to be errors before they leave the mint are destroyed in a different manner. Then they are sent away so not to be put into circulation. Google - Cancelled or Waffled coins..
    Here is the example -
    cancelled__waffled_DIME-NICKEL-QUARTER_CTF_ERROR_COINS.jpg

bettann likes this.
  10. bettann

bettann Member

Hi Paddyman, thank you. I've seen those types of coins on ebay. I had no idea that the Mint sold those to recyclers. I've always wondered how people come up with the off centers that go beyond the rim of the coin since they wouldn't fit in coin rolls. Are those found in recycles as well? (Like this coin?)

[​IMG]

11. paddyman98

No.. They are found in Mint sewn bags not rolls.
    Like these -
    mYRhFc-DT0hhtQTAXiuabVQ.jpg

MontCollector and bettann like this.
  12. JayF

JayF Active Member

There's also the 1988 WAM.

13. MontCollector

Yes there is. In fact all 1988 LMCs are WAMS. This is normal. Like I stated above:

JayF likes this.
  14. JayF

JayF Active Member

You're right, I was thinking of a different variety where the "G" on the initials is different (PCGS - FS 901)

15. MontCollector

Correct. On that variety you are looking at the "FG" as well. The one you want will have the serifs on the "G" like a WAM will. In 1989 serifs on the "G" is normal as that is when they made the change but some got minted onto the 1988 LMCs.

This one also known as Transitional error as well.

bettann and JayF like this.
  16. bettann

bettann Member

I was reading that there is another issue with the 1988 Lincoln cent. The initials that were supposed to be used for the 89 showed up on some 88's. It's very rare. The second image is the 89 reverse found on very few 88's. For some reason, this is listed on a lot of websites with WAMS and CAMS. As you said, all 88's are WAMS. I've been looking for this particular one for a while.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Blaydr382

Blaydr382 Active Member

is there a 1988 Cam?

18. James Owens

James Owens Member

How do you get a bag like that, and would it be worth it to get ??

Draft saved Draft deleted