Do you have a "MING" coin ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 3, 2021.

1. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Here are some of my Ming coins, one nice one and one broke one. The busted piece may be a Southeast Asian imitation coin made in Vietnam or Java, perhaps.

1368-1398 CE Cash Hong Wu Tong Bao H#20.57 2.83g 24mm Combined.jpg
    Ming Dynasty of China
    Emperor Hongwu | 1368-1398 AD
    AE Cash | 2.83g | 24mm
    Obv: Hong Wu Tong Bao
    Rev: Plain
    Ref: Hartill#20.57

1403-1424 CE AE Cash Emperor Yongle 'Yong Le Tong Bao' 'Plain' H#20.121 Broke.png
    Ming Dynasty of China
    Southeast Asian Imitation?
    AE Cash | 2.71g (1.26g and 1.45g) | 25.5mm
    Obv: Yong Le Tong Bao
    Rev: Plain
    Ref: Hartill#20.121​

Loong Siew, Spaniard, Choucas and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Thank you and what beautiful examples you had.

One assumes you did the same as I? Sold your pieces when the market for such was quite high (still is, but not compared to a few years ago, its come down just a bit).

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

JoIke, You're right, I unloaded most of my jade about 5 years ago when the market was super hot :smuggrin:. Three major auction houses handled my jades & the best results I had came from Freeman's in Philadelphia, PA. The market has softened since then because of over saturation & another influx of excellent copies. The jades that are still fetching high prices are from old established collections with a provenance. One of my favorite jades that sold is pictured below, a white jade ibex, 1.25 in. long, 17th or 18th century, that cost me $100.00 at an antique show in Rochester, NY. Freeman's sold it for $6,000.00 :D.

IMG_1788.jpg

PeteB, Spaniard, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  5. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

What an amazing piece and great find! We've also dealt with Freeman's in the past (paintings). They're located approx 20 minutes from our home here in, Jersey.

6. oabmarcus

oabmarcus New Member

Anyone here with a Longqing?

Loong Siew likes this.
  7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

One of these days I’ll get one. They seem hard to come by in my limited experience, and it doesn’t help that Qian Long of the Qing dynasty is one of the most common ruler for cash coins.

8. oabmarcus

oabmarcus New Member

Longqing is about 800-1000 USD in my experience, it's not that it's hard to come by it's just they are super expensive.

9. TTang

TTang Member

This is a Kanei Tsuho bun-sen from Kameido. Minted during the Japanese Tokugawa Shogunate, it's one of the first Shin-Kanei, said to have been made from the melted statue of Buddha.
    Other mintmarks include:

Wal888 likes this.
  10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I happen to have some Chinese coins, which I don't collect and know nothing about. Hence, I don't know if the coin below is Ming, Quing or fake. I got it for free and would not be disappointed if it is not genuine.

Someone with more knowledge told me that this one could be a rarer type (which raises the chances that it is a fake), but I lost the note about the possible dynasty or ruler.

The diameter is 29mm, weight 9.74 gm.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 09.36.21.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  11. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Wow!!! Very good information.
    Thank you very much @TTang

TTang likes this.
  12. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Yes I have one. Just completed my full 10 Emperors Ming set with that elusive piece

13. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Don't worry.. Yours is a genuine piece looking at the patina, strength and style of the calligraphy. It belonged to the Tianqi Emperor and was the penultimate of the Ming set ending with the Emperor Chongzhen. That excluding the Southern Ming issues after the fall of Beijing to the rebels.

Pickin and Grinin and sand like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ming coin? Not quite.

But while metal detecting in North Carolina in 1994, I found a mysterious brass medallion with a Ming dynasty inscription, which later caused quite a stir with some of the proponents of the controversial 1421 hypothesis. It was featured extensively in Gavin Menzies' later book Who Discovered America?

His 1421: The Year China Discovered America book was published in 2002, several years after I found the medallion, but some time before I had posted that online and Dr. Siu-Leung Lee acquired it from me, using it as the centerpiece of his Hong Kong lecture tour in 2006.

Asiawindposter.jpg

Was my "Mysterious Ming Medallion" find evidence of a Chinese fleet landing on the east coast of America in 1421? I have no idea. I do know it was old- most definitely- but I was assuming it a century or less old before someone read the inscription on it. I found it in an old churchyard on top of a hill in a small town in North Carolina. It was a few feet away from where I had dug a well-worn 1894-O Barber half the day before, and a few inches deeper than the half dollar had been. The medallion sat in my "interesting junque and whatzits" drawer for over a decade before I scanned pictures of it and posted it online for identification.

If you go to the Amazon page for Menzies' book, click "look inside" on the cover photo for a preview, and use my last name (Shinnick) in a keyword search, you can read the story of the find.

PS-

Ha! Look what I just stumbled across. Here is the story again (slightly garbled), in a different book I had never even heard of until just now. I only discovered I was in the Menzies book when a friend just happened to pick it up in a bookstore and see my name in it.

Now here's an excerpt from Ancient Explorers of America, by someone named Aleck Loker, which I just stumbled across in a Google Books search a moment ago. Amazing. I never knew I was in this book, or that it even existed. And it came out in 2009.

Untitled.png

@paddyman98 - @Randy Abercrombie - check that out. Pretty trippy for a metal detecting find, eh? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted