Do you have a Lucky Coin like Ol' George Washington?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Dec 29, 2018.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I received this in the mail this week, telling the story behind the 1792 Washington $10 gold coin. It's an interesting story I've read before but had forgotten. It reminded me of Mr. Lovett and how he allegedly also kept his Confederate Cent in his pocket.

Regardless of whether the story's totally true or not, it got me to wonder if any of you guys also have a coin you carry around for luck or some sentimental reason. If you do and don't mind sharing a photo of it with a short story, I think it would make for some good reading this holiday weekend. Happy New Year, all!

Scan_20181229.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There are all types of lucky coins to which I don't own a single one. Luck is what you make or fail to make yourself.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Commonly called "pocket pieces". Perhaps @GDJMSP will post you a picture of the AGE he carried for a few years.

JeffC likes this.
  5. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I found this proof in circulation in early 2016. Been carrying it daily for almost 3 years.

24F21B80-7C24-496B-B845-85DD1E8089EA.jpeg DCDCBB3C-EEDF-4E35-8549-785E6D2E9222.jpeg
    74FF977D-58DF-419B-9C2F-EFA49CFC9CE4.jpeg DB217BB9-51D6-4956-A717-9C494CF4393F.jpeg
    Tonight
    B347ADCB-9626-42A6-9C45-FE0D56A434CF.jpeg 8BE99D3B-72DB-4702-BEC1-A6D434D5513D.jpeg

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

AGE.jpg AGE rev.jpg

As requested :)

And Jeff, I didn't carry that, or any of the I think it was 4 that preceded it over a period of many years, for sentimental reasons. I carried them just because. Primarily just because nobody else ever had, or did. I used them as my flipping coin, and conversation pieces. And if I ran out of cash at a coin show, I used to them buy more coins ;)

JeffC and Kentucky like this.
  7. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I’ve been carrying this one just because you never see one with any wear. Cut it out of the mint packaging and stuck it in my pocket 2-3 years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JeffC

For me, that's a new term I learned: POCKET PIECES.

9. JeffC

10. JeffC

Wow - it's worn down quite a lot in 2-3 years!

11. JeffC

Thanks so much for sharing your AGE. Would you believe I'm NEVER seen one up close in real life?! A bit too expensive for me to be carrying them as pocket change! Hahahaha.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

He's a 'show off'.........gonna pay for that in the AM..........

Kentucky likes this.
  13. JeffC

Time for me to share why I started this thread about "Pocket Pieces". It's really not about lucky coins that you rub before buying lottery tickets. Let me explain. I was grabbing a bite with a lady and when we were paying at the counter, I noticed that she had a special coin in one of those small 1" ziplock bags which she took out and then put back in her purse. I asked to see it and saw that it was a coin from Mexico.

"Is this valuable?" I asked. She shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know.

"Probably not," she said.

"Why are you carrying this one?" I asked. She then began her story.

When she was younger, her father was an odd job worker and the family lived paycheck to paycheck. As a routine ritual, she and her mother would hide loose change in various areas of the house: Beneanth a stack of plates, behind books, under a table lamp, etc. During days when she was hungry and they needed to buy food, both mother and daughter would embark on a game of "treasure hunt" - they would look at all the familiar hiding places to try to find enough spare change to put together to buy a meal. One day though, all they found was one coin, the one my friend kept to this day. Too bad, I forget the denomination. It wasn't enough to buy a meal. My friend (not being too wise for her young age) then asked her mother to go and borrow money, which her mom declined. Later, my friend saw her mom crying. From that point onwards, she never asked again. She told me she kept that one coin all these years as a reminder of her roots and why we should not take our blessings - no matter how humble - for granted. I teared up a little and made sure to finish every bit of my Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

And when I saw the LCC ad, I wondered who else had a nice story behind a coin they carried.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Kentucky likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Dang!

15. green18

That is such bogus malarkey.......Kripes......I don't buy it a bit.

Maxfli likes this.
  16. green18

I'm from Missouri (I wish) so you're gonna have to show me........

17. green18

And don't give me the blasted blessed are thee who have not seen.......

18. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

tumblr_mvbwerVnFt1rpgpe2o1_1280.jpg

And yes I have a lucky pocket coin.

1917 nov 18 - Copy.jpg

Eeeewwwww what a lucky coin it was...:woot:

JeffC and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  19. JeffC

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But back then they weren't all that expensive, I never paid much over $300 for one. But at the time cost was not an issue for me, I would have done it no matter what the cost.

1,192 :p

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted