Do you have a list of coins you will NEVER get?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by russell1256, Sep 27, 2022.

1. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I have my want list in an excel spreadsheet, and I am close to completing a lot of sets. I have broken out the coins I will never get, does anyone else keep such a list?

Indian Head Cents
    1909-S

Lincoln Cents
    1909-S VDB
    1922 No D/Strong Reverse
    1955 Double Die
    1972 Double Die FS101

Buffalo Nickels
    1918-D 8 over 7
    1937-D 3 Legged

Barber Dimes
    1895-O

Mercury Dimes
    1916-D
    1942/41
    1942/41-D

Barber Quarter
    1896-S
    1901-S
    1913-S

Standing Liberty Quarters
    1916 Bare/No Stars Type 1
    1918-S 8 over 7
    1923-S

Early Commemoratives
    1928 Hawaii Discovery Sesquicentennial
    1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial
    1935 Old Spanish Trail
    1937 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't have a list of coins I'll NEVER get.
    My list is of coins I'll ONLY get if (when!?) I hit one of those lotteries.
    Of course that's VERY close, but not equal to never.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I have a list, and at the top of it is the
    1915-S $50 Pan-Pac Octagonal
    1905 Lewis & Clark

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    MIGuy likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The red book is all of my lists in one. The list of ones I have, want and can't afford (i.e. not pursuing).

-jeffB, MIGuy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

That's an interesting question - Never Say Never! I didn't think I'd ever get a 1916 SLQ or 18/7-S overdate, but I found a 1916 (FR02 Damaged) in the wild (large consignment store lot of silver quarters - Barber and SLQ) and then saved up / got a promotion and found an NGC 18/7-S overdate recently that sold relatively low at auction (still the most expensive coin I've bought) (holed / cleaned VF Details) and the 1923-S wasn't that bad, though at the time, a few years back, it was the most expensive coin I'd ever bought at a bit less than $500, mine is actually pretty nice looking but it's VF30 Corroded, Cleaned. I guess the key for me in not thinking the things I want are out of reach is that I don't aspire too high. I don't collect gold coins (love 'em and have a few, but can't afford a collection) or other rarities but sometimes on the ones you have listed you can get lucky if you keep your eyes open and keep some funds saved and in reserve for such a day - and go through a lot of raw coins, lol. Key for me - my kids are grown up and I have a decent job and most importantly, I'm happy with Details coins - I mean I prefer MS straight graded (right? Who doesn't?) but I'm just happy to have rare coins that I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford in my collection.

Edit, on further consideration, I have been putting together a low grade Capped Bust Half Dollar collection and don't think I'll likely ever get an 1836 Reeded Edge (mintage 1200) or an 1838-O (mintage 20) so I guess those would qualify.

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Never say never. I don’t see myself getting a 1793 Liberty Cap Cent anytime soon but could get very, very lucky and find one with the date worn off and a huge bisecting die crack in a junk bin one day. You never know.

MIGuy likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am with others, never say never. When I was younger I was not sure I would ever own gold, yet I worked hard, promotions, etc and today maybe I own 50-70 of them. Life can change, finances can change. Key is to still be knowledgable about them, and if affordability changes be in a position to get what you want. :)

Plus, dirty little secret, that list will never go away. Just because you buy some from your wish list, you will add others.

masterswimmer and MIGuy like this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm a realist, and mine would be a terribly long list, with hundreds of coins on it.

For starters . . .

1870-S Half Dime
    1873-CC Dime No Arrows
    1870-s Three Dollar
    1866 Dollar No Motto
    1854-S Half Eagle
    1913 Liberty Nickel
    1885 Trade Dollar
    1870-S Dollar
    1804 Dollar
    1933 Double Eagle

I think it more likely that there are thousands of coins I'll never own.

MIGuy likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not at all. If a coin like that pops up I just stop spending. I eat less, cook all my meals, plans trips to use less gas, etc. I save wherever I can and before I know it I buy that coin. A never own list is not in my vocabulary. It’s my mind over matter that counts.

1stSgt22 and MIGuy like this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Nearly all of them". And quite a few where I'll never get even a single example, which I know is what you meant. :rolleyes:

ToughCOINS and MIGuy like this.
  12. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Never get? Anything gold. I HATE that baby crap yellow color.

Probably never get? 1796 or 1797 half dollar...I just can't wrap my head around the idea of spending more on a coin than I did on my house.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I dont keep a list but there are coins I'm well aware of that I will likely never be able to afford. As far as ones I could get but just wont I generally avoid classic commens as they just never seem to always lose value even in hot markets, 3CN, and proofs as I just dont like the look as much.

It'll probably be controversial but I also avoid early copper now. I understand the appeal of them, but given that they usually have issues in my opinion theyre the easiest to fake as you can cover up flaws with some environmental damage etc. I understand the appeal of all the series I generally avoid, but they just arent for me

14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

A 'Never Get List' is a defeatist attitude I was never introduced to. As a family we were guided by our parents to always strive to achieve, not fail.

Like @medoraman said, life throws us changeups that we don't always expect. Do your best to effect positive changes in your life to hopefully get you to succeed and accomplish the lofty goals that don't always come easy.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Your list of "never gets" is the same as my list of "gets". I don't, or never have gave up on anything that I wanted, this is not always a good thing.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to feel like I'll never get a w mint mark quarter, in the wild.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think they were too red hot for far too long. In the 1970s and 80s they were all many people were buying and selling, and prices went through the stratosphere. That, and the huge surge of modern ones I believe have put that market in a permanent funk for now. I actually find myself buying one here and there on occasion, the only US coins I buy save for a few colonials and gold and platinum, because many issues are quite pretty. I am still of the opinion the Oregon Trail is the most iconic American coin ever produced. I own a few of these in 65-66, finding the beauty a steal for the price.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I really didn’t notice until you post. There’s a few on that list I wouldn’t want like the commemoration ones. The rest of the list, I have over 80% of them. I was able to afford them by saving money. And @masterswimmer is correct, A 'Never Get List' is a defeatist attitude”. I was raised the same way he was from the rest of his statement. That’s why I have the coins that are on the “Never Get List” despite what my ex did.

masterswimmer likes this.
  19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Same here. Whenever I get a quarter in change, I immediately look at the mintmark.
    I have had several cashiers ask if something was wrong because I was flipping through change while still at the register. When I say you didn't give me me any W quarters they have the same stare of bewilderment I have.

MIGuy, Jeffjay and slackaction1 like this.
  20. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Indian $10 in MS.

[​IMG]

slackaction1 likes this.
  21. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Are you ever going to get the gold coins you want? Well, (I'll) never say never but I'm certainly not planning on it anytime soon. ( layman's terms NO)

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted