Do You Have a Brockage to Share?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Nov 20, 2018.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

These oddities can be very interesting, granted the smaller the denomination the more likely you are to find one. ( I would love to see this with a gold coin.) Here is one from my collection. The fill makes it much more visible. If you have one in your collection please share. g1.jpg
    MANUEL AE HALF TETARTERON S-1981 DOC 24 CLBC 4.4.12 BROCKAGE
    OBV Bust of Christ bearded and nimbate, wearing tunic and kolobion; holds scrolls in l. hand. Pellet in each limb of nimbus cross.

REV Full length figure of emperor, bearded, wearing uncertain dress (stemma, short military tunic, breastplate and sagion?) holds in r. hand scepter cruciger and in l. Globus cruciger.

Size 17.37 mm

Weight 1.9 gm

The normal version
    g2.jpg
    MANUEL AE HALF TETARTERON S-1981 DOC 24 CLBC 4.4.12

OBV Bust of Christ bearded and nimbate, wearing tunic and kolobion; holds scrolls in l. hand. Pellet in each limb of nimbus cross.

REV Full length figure of emperor, bearded, wearing uncertain dress (stemma, short military tunic, breastplate and sagion?) holds in r. hand scepter cruciger and in l. Globus cruciger.

Size 17.8mm

Weight 2.0gm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have a real cool brockage Denarius. The high relief of the obverse and the slight concave of the reverse make this tough to get decent pics. Although, they are an improvement over my last attempt. 67BBA916-75E4-4075-AE47-9C81E2CF2B59.jpeg 75109735-7984-4A31-ADAD-EAB8D8911036.jpeg Anonymous, 86 BC
    3.88gm Laureate head of Apollo right
    It came with a Pegasi tag calling it Toned VF
    Ex C.

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It doesn't photograph well, but here's a Roman provincial of Faustina II brockage:

Faustina Jr provincial brockage.jpg

Multatuli, TIF, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Vespasian's are not as common as you would think. I have only one.

VBrockage.jpg
    Vespasian RIC Unknown - Obverse Brockage
    AR Denarius, 2.92g
    Rome mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC - . BMC - . RSC - .
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: Incuse of obverse
    Acquired from Aegean Numismatics, December 2017.

Multatuli, chrsmat71, Sulla80 and 7 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This dupondius?
    of Claudius is from one of those Western mints. Official?
    rb1050bb0131.jpg

This Hadrian is my only fourree brockage.
    rc1980b00211alg.JPG

Most brockages duplicate the obverse since the coin causing the error stuck in the upper, reverse die. When pincher dies were used or when the portrait side was on the upper position, it is possible to get reverse brockages. Years ago I bought a group in a Robinson sale. This COMES AVG would be from Victorinus-Tetricus period.
    rr2010bb1389.jpg

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

L. Licinius Crassus, Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus and associates (L. Cosconius was one of these associates - a junior magistrate). Denarius serratus Minted at Narbo, Gaul. 118 BCE, AR 20 mm. 3.8 gm.

Obverse: L·COSCO·M·F X (sideways "S")- Helmeted head of Roma, right, wearing Attic helmet; around, inscription; behind, denominational mark. Border of dots.

Reverse (missing):
    L·LIC·CN·DOM - Naked Gaulish warrior in biga, right, holding shield, carnyx and reins in left hand and hurling spear with right hand. Border of dots.

Around 118 BCE Gnaeus Domitianus Ahenobarbus built the Via Domitia between Rome and provinces in Spain. Colonia Narbo Martius in Gaul (today Narbonne France) was founded the same year (118) at the crossroads of Via Aquitania and Via Domitia - the first Roman colony in Gaul.

Another fun note: Rome's first colony, Narbo Martius, was called 'The Province' by the Romans at the time (today: Narbonne, Provence)

There’s an interesting thread on another coin minted in 118 at Narbo from @red_spork here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-roman-denarius-from-the-newly-founded-colony-of-narbo.269339/
    6CD43255-B9F2-4CE6-8B7C-F02E9FC65374.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Septimius Severus denarius
    Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– Brockage image of obverse
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194-195

[​IMG]

9. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I realize this is the Ancients Forum but I will post a modern coin anyway.

As a YN I coveted a brockage Lincoln cent. We never saw bockages in the 1970s, even at shows. They were the stuff of books, not something to own. I imagined that anyone, in any era, would recognize a brockage and keep it aside.

Yet in the ancient world brockages must not have been coveted. We found them with significant wear. I was also surprised that ancient brockages don't command a high premium on the collector market.

I found a modern circulated brockage from Nepal in a dealers junk try a few years ago. I started looking around and learned that there are modern circulated brockages out there, although not many. This one might be interesting to readers here:

bukhara-brockage-cropped.jpg
    Manghit/Amirs of Bukhara, AR tenga, Bukhara, No date (circa 1900), 'Abd al-Ahad, 15.5mm, 3.13g
    Album 3042?, KM #63? (Uzbekistan, Khanate of Bukhara)
    Obv: Persian (Tajik) inscription naming mint; uncertain date
    Rev: incuse of obverse
    cf. Zeno Late Central Asia » Amirs of Bukhara

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

BROCKAGE from the Republic:

RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE.JPG
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE
    Rev: Retrograde ROMA (LOL, now you can say it is written in OSCAN and Latin!)

11. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

A legionary denarius:
    EB352A28-A9F2-4209-BF88-D8FEA1ED1345.jpeg E0DFB949-FB5F-4F2D-A84F-09CABA222555.jpeg
    A sweet hommage for Bing.

Draft saved Draft deleted