Do you ever look in the till?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by afm1982, Jul 29, 2018.

1. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Curiosity poll for all those in CT. When you're at a store, do you ever peek into the cash register drawer to see if there are any interesting coins?

In the last two weeks I have caught sight of 2 wheat pennies and a 1940 nickel. All from different stores. When the cashier opens the drawer, I see the old coins on top, and ask for them.

Is anyone else out there this neurotic?

TexAg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I have a very fond memory of seeing three 1940's era quarters in the charity donation box...

Also I remember my mother recieving a 1922 $20 gold certificate in change when I was around the age of 7. I still am haunted to this day for not keeping it.

5. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I recently starting peeking hoping for halves or large dollars, no luck yet.

6. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I've peeked before. Havent found much, but i do remember asking for a half dollar out of the cash register at a dry cleaner. I was also fortunate enough to notice a red seal 2 in a drawer at a bank, and she said she had a lot, and i ended up with 20ish red seal twos!

Vince11229 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, I have looked

8. Jacob Widhalm

Jacob Widhalm New Member

I'm a bagger at a grocery store, so I always look at the cashier's drawer. If there's something I want I buy it at face value.

Vince11229 and onecenter like this.
  9. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

:pompous:Twice already today......

10. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

I spotted a silver half in a drawer once. Cashier wouldn't sell it to me.

11. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Yes. I always look. I've never asked but I really have never seen anything in there that I would want. There is a charity box full a coinage at my local convenience store that makes me wonder what kind of goodies are in there...……….

TexAg likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Back in the 50's there was a grocery store on almost every corner. I new most all of the owners. When I got out of school I would stop at each one and check the cash register. In those days most people trusted others. The owners would not even look up to watch me. I found many, many good coins. On Saturday mornings I would go to the local bank. I would sit in the vault on the floor. The Tellers would bring trays of change and I would roll it for them - for free. In those days the Tellers had to roll all their own change by hand. And, as far as looking the register when it opens, I got real good at catching the dates on coins. 70 years later I still look when it opens.

Vince11229 likes this.
  13. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I look... sometimes.

14. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I've been working as a cashier for the past 4 months now. So far I've found a 1964 dime a 1953 quarter and a 1939 quarter. sometimes I'll see wheat pennies but I don't snatch them up

Vince11229 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted