Do you ever look back at the prices you sold stuff for?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone posted that you should never look back. So that made me do just that;)
    It made me smile and cry. I did well on most of the modern stuff. I could never get those prices today. The classic stuff is a different story. Just the Bust coins made me cry. It's been a lot of years and I made good money at the time but at todays values, I messed up. I need a time machine. I guess that's why I love this hobby.

Endeavor and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Things go in cycles there are probably just as many wins as losses. Depending on what you sold. The sad part is there are even more that just remain the same. Never go up or down.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I sold a lot of stuff low when I was less educated but that's all they were bringing and needed the bux. Now I find nice classic goodies out here on the W. Coast and they more than make up for previous "losses" so it all evens out in the end! HH to one and all.

5. olero

olero Active Member

I've bought stuff for the last 30+ years. People said "you paid that much for a quarter?" And to this day I have never sold anything that I have accumulated. Granted I have bought a lot of junk but I have bought a lot of treasure as well.

I didn't get into this hobby not to make money. Unfortunately the investors have gotten into the act and have changed my hobby into an investment vehicle. The TPGs have tried to make it so you don't even have to see what your buying.

So sad.

coinzip likes this.
  6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I haven't been collecting or selling for long... about two years now only. However in that short time span I have already seen some very noticeable price swings. A good example are high grade proof silver Ike dollars. I've seen them almost double in price then fall to below the start price. I'm sure the price of silver had a lot to do with it, but it was a lot more noticeable than other silver coins.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You win some, and you lose some. Hopefully, in the long run, it will all work out in your favor.

Chris

coinzip, dwhiz and spirityoda like this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I never look back. What I paid for what ever back in the day doesn't matter. I'm in it for the joy of collecting and what my collection is worth doesn't really matter all that much. I have never sold a coin although I've traded a couple in recent years. If all goes to plan my grandson will have a nice collection someday. I've got a Dansco 7106 album full of reds and s few colorful BN's to give to him soon to hopefully get him in the collecting state of mind. ;)

coinzip likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looking back at what you sold stuff for is just as bad as those who look back at what they could have bought stuff for. Problem is humans think of numbers as static, even though theoretically we know about inflation. "Old" numbers should be put into a scale, like how man loaves of bread, to make them more meaningful than dollars. Converting your old sales into loaves of bread and doing the same today, does the sale price look as horrible?

10. cpm9ball

Who wants to buy stale bread?

Chris:wacky::wacky::wacky:

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A little olive oil, water, and wine vinegar will make it edible........can't do that with coins though.......:)

12. cpm9ball

I changed my mind. Thanksgiving is not too far away. Throw it in a field!

Chris

13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

14. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Or, if you are old skool...

15. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Yes. I bought a toner from a Heritage Long Beach a year or two ago and decided to sell the piece to finance an unexpected acquisition. I had difficulty selling the coin for a fair price. I was finally able to break even after a couple of months of trying and sold it to a collector. Six months later, someone makes an offer through Heritage for several hundred dollars more than I paid. I was not happy with myself. If only I had been patient and/or explored other potential sources of funding, it could have ended differently.

ldhair and Endeavor like this.
  16. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Old Skool by New Skool?

Back on topic - I think the loaf of bread analogy is a pretty good one. No different than using 1995 dollars, or whatever they now use, for the CPI. If I had better records of my earliest purchases, I'd probably be even more disappointed in various sell amounts. But then again, as others have opined, it seems a wash when others have been sold at multiples of purchase price.

Draft saved Draft deleted