Do you display any of your coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Only a Poor Old Man, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Since I'll jump at any chance to contribute, technically I do display the only ancient coin I have (it's a cheap common Nero), along with my fossils etc. I just have it all on a long white table, so the pictures go from left to right.

First is my modest little group of Roman things: a bronze stylus, the Nero coin, and a lead sling bullet.
    The second picture is half of an ammonite, and a fossil fern plate.
    The third picture is a favorite fossil - the fish is 21 inches long, but since it's curled up it makes the matrix under a foot wide. Tons of detail in this one.
    The fourth picture is just another fern fossil plate and the other half of the first ammonite.
    The last picture is also a favorite - a large Neanderthal hand tool that fits amazingly well in the hand. I love this thing.

DSC03983.JPG DSC03984.JPG DSC03985.JPG DSC03986.JPG DSC03987.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. ;)

4. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

@DonnaML, thats some amazing stuff you have there. Beautifully displayed as well.

Stevearino, Deacon Ray and DonnaML like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but permission is safer. ;)

I don't have anything to show here, because I don't really display my stuff, either. The only thing I have that I might consider displaying prominently in the near future is my original 10" plaster design model by Laura Gardin Fraser for the Washington quarter.

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That’s good advice, @PeteB ! I agree, and not only that—some of my flips are not archival :eek:

Paul M. and Justin Lee like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

That’s a beautiful and inspiring collection! Welcome to the Ancients Forum!

DonnaML likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Thanks folks! It’s done. @PeteB @tibor

BAND_BE_GONE.jpg

The non-archival flips are next!

9. stgecko

stgecko Junior Member

I on occasion will load up my curio cabinet with quite the sparkly display. I have had it mentioned to me that showing them like that was inviting temptation to theft. They stay in the safe for the most part. I’ve recently put my coin pics onto a digital photo frame and keep it on slideshow and I like to check it out as it cycles through the pics.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  10. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Here are my arrowhead collection, and two coin displays - one is the Year of the Monkey coins, including a 1956 proof set, and the other is a gold type set. I keep these out to share with visitors, and it's nice to walk by them several times a day! Coin Display - Gold Type Set.jpg Coin Display - Year of the Monkey.jpg Arrowhead Collection.jpg

11. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Here is my display case for the ATB 5 ounce "hockey pucks" - one drawer for each year. ATB 5 Ounce Hockey Pucks.jpg

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks; that's very kind of you to say. It feels like I've already been here a long time, but I joined only at the end of January, so I've actually been posting for less than two months.

13. DonnaML

Thank you!

14. DonnaML

Whenever there are going to be people in my apartment I don't know, or don't know very well, I put away the two trays of ancient coins, because it's pretty obvious what they are, and they're way too easily portable. Oddly enough, more than 30 years of experience has taught me that most people don't even notice the antiquities, or, if they do, it never occurs to them that they might be real.

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow @DonnaML are you living in a museum ?

On the subject of thieves, I would agree with you, most of them are morons, looking for cash and jewelry. They probably don't even think your stuff might be real, and even though it would be too much trouble to get rid of them. "Easy money" is the motto

Q

Gary R. Wilson, panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  16. DonnaML

No, @Cucumbor, I'm not living in a museum, but here's one final post with a few more photos of Egyptian amulets, etc. If anyone thinks they don't belong in this forum, please try to understand that to me, my ancient coins and
    antiquities aren't really separate collections: they're two parts of a single whole.

An amulet of Bastet, and a blue faience amulet of Sekhmet:

20200321_085356.jpg

(1) A blue-green faience Triad amulet, showing Horus flanked by his mother Isis on the right, and by his aunt Nebhat (Nepthys) on the left; and (2) A green faience amulet of the Uzat eye (Eye of Horus), with brown relief detail:

20200321_085125_Burst01.jpg

(1) An amulet of Pataikos, the dwarf god; (2) A blue-green faience plaque amulet of Amset, the human-headed son of Horus; and (3) A blue faience Djed pillar, symbolizing stability in life and after death, and also the enduring presence of the gods in one's life. .

20200321_095541.jpg

A miniature Apulian net lekythos, with a second photo giving an idea of its size:

Apulian Lekythos 3.jpg

Apulian Lekythos 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

They sure belong in this place anyday
    Beautiful display

Q

DonnaML likes this.
  18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoy the pictures of your varied collections. I've always felt that those that have only one collection, is living a very narrow life. Over the years, I have collected many things. My father was in the Army (yea! I'm an army brat.) and we travelled a great deal. When I was 9, we were living in Landstuhl, Germany. The next summer after we moved there, we toured Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Holland and Denmark. I was too young to realize the value of our tour. I did buy wooden shoes in Holland. I also bought a beer stein that doubled as a music box. I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower when in Paris and also the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We went to a Tulip Parade while we were in Holland. Again, at 9, I didn't realize the value of our family trip in a 1950 Studebaker Commander, 4 door with my older sister that was 9, she died this past summer, my younger sister, she died a month ago, and my father (we was killed in an auto collision in 1997, and my mother who died 3 years ago. I am blessed by still having my younger brother, but he lives in California and cannot travel, and I live in North Carolina. Thank goodness for texting and phone calls. We have always been close. We almost lost him when he was in the navy during the Vietnam War, when his ship was hit. I'm sorry for digressing. I have stocked my wife's curio cabinet with model aircraft that I have built over the years. I have about 2,400 unbuilt models that I'll never build, so I'm going to donate them to the military in Afghanistan to give them something to do. When I can, I'll get some pictures of all my tours, models and other things. Oh, yeah, We went back to Europe in 1964 to France this time. You may enjoy some pictures my father took that my brother transferred from slides to a CD.

19. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

IMG_20200321_165841.jpg IMG_20200321_165841.jpg IMG_20200321_170256.jpg IMG_20200321_165841.jpg IMG_20200321_170256.jpg

My Father's display cabinet items from Turkey, Mexico, Greece.

20. DonnaML

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Wow, to everyone's displays. I feel like I've just been to a great museum. I'm sequestered here in AZ, unable to safely get back to Minnesota, where my coins are (in the SDB) and all my fossils and other items are...so this has helped with my "homesickness."

So, @DonnaML, I won't offer to buy your coins, but tell me: how much does a guided tour cost?

@GoldBug999: were you able to find a portion of the arrowheads yourself?

@Numisnewbiest: do you know the species of the large fish? And where in the world did you find/buy the Neanderthal tool? THAT is one of the most impressive things I've seen posted recently. (Excuse me while I wipe off the drool).

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted