Do you display any of your coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Only a Poor Old Man, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Obviously most of you have loads of coins, which woud make them impossible to display (unless you live in a museum), but do you display your best coins as conversation pieces and for constant access? When I started on this hobby quite recently, my intention was to get only a coin or two and display them on a bookcase, so I found the following coin display cases online.

displ_cn1.jpg

It's quite a clever little thing. It kinda encapsulates the coin between 2 very thin membranes and it gives the impression that the coin is floating. Somebody also mentioned that they are acid-free, so they should be safe for coins. As I got addicted, I realised that I would display only a few and maybe rotate them the more I get. At the moment I display them them in a small cabinet with a few of my other collectables (I am also interested for many years now in antique samurai swords and antique flintlocks and other medieval weaponry)

displ_cn.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That’s a beautiful display case, @Only a Poor Old Man !

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Don't really display since no one besides me cares. I do have antiquities in a old mahogany china cabinet is only I didn't know where else to put them. Lots if stuff, Roman glass, cuneiform pieces, ancient israel oil lamps, etc.

5. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I have a couple of those small holders that I bought on eBay but I wasn't sure if they were PVC free so I've avoided using them for any important coins. If they say they're acid free though that's a good reassurance.

6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Very nice display. I display my treasures in 2x2 flips in double row boxes
    safely tucked away in 2 SDB at a local bank. A couple hundred pics on the
    computer for my limited enjoyment.

panzerman and BenSi like this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice display you have. I had some dubious experience with one of those membranes cases. It left some yellowish stuff on my silver denarii. Mentioned in another thread, I display all my coins. I only have a few.
    IMG-2792.jpg

8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

No. The collection is stored, and is in serious need of organizing, labeling and photographing. I procrastinate.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't display since no one in the family gives a hoot about little old pieces of metal. I do, but then it would just be for my own amusement. Since I don't have a safe deposit box I keep coins in some dedicated metal boxes in the closet so they are not visible should someone break into the house.

10. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

11. Deacon Ray

Very nice, @Limes !

12. Deacon Ray

You are too kind! :wideyed::woot::hilarious: Thank you, Erin!

Stevearino, Johndakerftw and 7Calbrey like this.
  13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Neat and attractive display.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I don't display coins either. They're in some safe place and I rotate them from time to time, depending on my mood and what I want to have at hand.
    Nobody at home feel they need to see them, so it's OK

Q

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The only displaying I do is when a new coin arrives, I leave it on my bookcase for a few days to enjoy and look at, then it eventually goes in a flip then the album.

Then another coin arrives and it continues.

octavius likes this.
  16. Deacon Ray

Great post, @Only a Poor Old Man ! I’m afraid that I only display my coins in digital and printed form.

COIN_COLLECTIONS_LIBRARY_1.jpg

The reality of the situation is this.

DRAWER2.jpg

17. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Thats a nice showcase Old Man , I like it.

I bought a lot of 12 of those plastic coinholders from Alibaba, $10 incl shipment.
    Didn't use them sofar, but I use these from the Royal Duch Mint , they say these are safe to store coins.
    As other say, beside me nobody really cares. :(

P1210534.JPG
    P1150090 (2).JPG

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I like Deacon Ray's posters, the small size of coins really makes me prefer displaying enlarged photos. Small flat screen TV's with a usb connection and a built in slide show program allow you to place a framed wall hanging with photos that change every few seconds (or never - as you prefer) in a size from 12" to 80" as you prefer. the smaller, low end TV's do not use a lot of power and can display whatever you wish. To keep peace in the family, you might want to have a setting that shows something other than coins when you are not around to enjoy them.

19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...yup..^^..my house has become a museum....here's my coin display..suitable of framing..^^...here's a rendering of a work done by @TIF of the coin(and other stuff) area brandt2.png gwp 001.JPG ...:D addams family.jpg ..

20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I like those display stands, and consider buying a few for thtradrachms that are too thick for my quadrum capsule/coin box system. I only keep some of my coins around the house though, the rest are locked down.
    However, I use my best coin photos as screen saver on my iMac. That works well too.
    I really like your glass cabinet and weapons collection, @Only a Poor Old Man. Very nice. And it’s fun that you’re now also bitten by the coin bug. The coins you have shown us so far are very tasteful.

21. svessien

svessien Senior Member

That’s how I live too. The older things, the better. Dining table from the 1930s, old and useless FM/MW radios, musical instruments, books, art, and coins showing up everywhere. I’m thankful I only have 100m2 to fill up with collectibles, because I would have filled up every amount of space anyway.

The recently popular thinker Jordan Peterson highly recommends surrounding yourself with beauty. Not a new idea at all (just look at the ancient civilizations), but in a time where people seem to be hooked on quantity, it’s nice to find another way. I love living in a museum.

Draft saved Draft deleted