Do you dislike any particular coin series?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I always thought Susan B and Ike's had ugly obverse facial profiles. Both are mostly worthless numismatically, which makes them not very fun to collect. Zincolns aren't a bad design, but why use the same obverse over and over, yet cheapen the coin comp with zinc. They tried to save the series with the 2009 reverse change, but it needs to be retired.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Modern commemorative coins suck and they are a rip off. The dude on the Braille dollar, yep, Louis Braille, looks like Alfred E. Neumann.

Rushmore likes this.
  4. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Though there are a lot of commems with lacking designs, I am hopeful that is turning around because I absolutely adore the the WWI commem from this year.

5. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

Modern commems are okay as long as you stick with the sub $30 issues, because you might realize profit one day if silver sees its highs again. I collect Morgans too for that same reason.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Agreed, truly unattractive coins. Doesn't help there is so many.

Next would be our current coinage.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Peace dollars in my mind....

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's generally considered the most beautiful coin in American history, I think you don't like the coin or it just doesn't appeal to you.

I'm not a fan of GONE WITH THE WIND as a movie, but no way I'd say it was a crap movie just because I don't like it.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

He spent all his coin money on 1916-Ds and can’t afford a St Gaudens :p

JPeace$ and Rheingold like this.
  10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

But she's on life support.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

But the dollar coin needs to be made part of common use for no other reason than to save taxpayers' money. There's much talk of doing away with the cent and, perhaps, even the nickel. I would be all for eliminating the paper dollar just to force the public into facing facts.

12. Curious Coin

Curious Coin Active Member

Most everything after the Johnson Sandwich.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You got it all wrong. ;) The Paasikivi coin is a pretty good design in my opinion. As for the Churchill Crown, the portrait is fine with me - it's the "fat" font that looks awful ...

As for the new Innovation or Innovators series, I think that most of the future issues will not be well-balanced. If you look at the introductory piece, you have a very busy reverse while the obverse - which will be the same for all future coins in that series - is sparsely populated. Then again, these $1 pieces will hardly ever show up in circulation, so I do not care that much.

Christian

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The dollar coin has never been a success and never will be. As far as to “force the public into facing facts” that’s not the government’s proper role, despite the increasing tide in the other direction.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The original question was - Do you dislike any particular coin series?

My answer, yeah, most of them. And that includes coins from across all eras and all countries.

When I was still collecting, which I did for almost 50 years, the only coins I collected were ones where I liked the designs. But they were few and far between when compared to what was available. And there were always a few that I did not collect for one reason or another even though I did like the designs. Though usually it was because I liked one better, or more if you prefer, than I did the others. So I preferred to spend my money on the ones I liked the most.

But to try and list all those I did not like ? Ehhh, no way I'm gonna spend that much time writing them all out !

BoonTheGoon likes this.
  16. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Thanks for posting that beautiful coin. Her face is very realistically portrayed in that it’s got depth and a natural expression.

17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Now that coin would have been a hit!

I put together a SBA proof set. I don't know why. When the series was released, I thought she looked like a bitter old lady. Heck she still does. But I went ahead anyway and collected the proofs.

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not a big fan of the Liberty Head Nickels. I own one for my type set, but just can't get excited over the depiction of Ms. Liberty. I don't really care for the Shield Nickel either.

I'm coming around on the barber designs. Ms. Liberty looks more like a Roman male to me, but I do think the design has beauty in it's simplicity.

19. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Can't stand post 1964 American clad coins. Slight exception for 40% silver clad coins.

20. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the 2006-date Jefferson re-design.

While I like the gold dollar coins as a concept and wouldn't mind seeing them replace the $1 bill, a few issues with them:

- I don't like "$1" over the more classically styled "One Dollar"
    - Not a fan of putting important coin information - namely, the date and mint mark - on the rim where they're easily worn off
    - Wasn't a fan of muddying up the obverse of the Presidential dollars by moving "In God We Trust" there. Mottoes are perfect for the rim of a coin. Essentially information, such as the date, mint mark, country of issue, and denomination should be clear as day on the obverse or reverse.

sergeant likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

What were your favorite designs, Doug?

Draft saved Draft deleted