Do you dislike any particular coin series?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. jcm

jcm Active Member

The Indian head gold never struck my fancy. Also I don't really care for the St. Gaudens double eagles. The reverse is just ugly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The Chinese Panda coins have always bored me to tears, for some reason. Artistically, they're not terrible designs, but they just bore me.

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Maybe not a coin, but just certain designs are not my favorites; especially certain ones that, by law, mimetically appear on a nation's coins.
    Some are downright ugly. Here are some I don't like.

Any side of a coin displaying a member of the Saxe-Coburg-Goethe family.
    Here's one particular example:
    gfergrg.jpg
    Then again, the Commonwealth countries have got nothing on this one from the USA:
    awefwfg.png

5. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

SBA dollar and the new shield pennys gets my vote for goobers of the last 25 years. But that is just me. I guess I would also fit into that category by some of the folks that know me.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  6. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I'm definitely not going to be among popular opinion here, but I think the Augustus Saint Gauden's $20 Gold Piece is one of the most banal, trite, and boring coin designs ever struck. Add to that fact, that the U.S. Mint ran the design into the ground on their Gold bullion coins, and every dealer and his brother wants to use it in their logo. In comparison, I think the earlier Gold Pieces in the OP are far prettier.

ETA: The JFK Half Dollar is another one on my list of ugly coins. Kennedy didn't deserve to be hailed as a hero as he is now, much less be on a Coin. The clown had affairs in the White House, was responsible with the trade bargo with Cuba, if you read history, his whole family was composed of despicable people...... I don't like a single iota of what Kennedy stood for. He was a snake who successfully seduced and duped the American public, and his disgusting legacy lives on today. I have my share of JFK Halves I've gotten for face value, but I would never pay a penny over melt for one.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    CasualAg$ and PlanoSteve like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

I semi-agree. While I think the Saint-Gaudens design is beautiful, it's been "done to death", and I totally agree that they've run it into the ground with bullion coins and company logos.

They did the same with Weinman's Walking Liberty and Fraser's Indian/Buffalo designs. Great designs, sure, but overused now, after more than a century.

The French have also done it with La Semeuse, the inspiration for the Walking Liberty, though they at least have sometimes tweaked it a bit with new versions.

Leave the classics to their place in history on older coins, I say, and stop recycling them.

Taurus57, TheFinn and 1916D10C like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Another stupid post to start a fight over something you know nothing about.

9. 1916D10C

It wasn't intended to start a fight and you should go back and read your history books. Or perhaps if you were alive in his time, judging by your response, you were one of the masses that was duped. But no, was not intended to start a fight, you just continuously and vehemently take exception to my posts and refuse to close your vendetta against me, which you acquired I have no idea where.

Where did I personally attack anyone or anybody? And what did I say that isn't supported by facts? You chose to be offended and call me out because you love drama Idhair. I know nothing about it? What do YOU know about it?

I also think it's odd how you ignore my PM's but call me out on the open forum. What's that say about you, buddy? Get over yourself and stop making everything about you. Ignore me if you don't like what I post. That snarky and spiteful remark made me lose all the respect I once had for you.

Good day to you, sir!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    hotwheelsearl and CasualAg$ like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

@lordmarcovan This is political and should be removed.

USCoinCollector42 and Kentucky like this.
  11. 1916D10C

Awwwww somebody got offended because he can't debate historical facts. WAAAAAH!! :bigtears:

You might know more about coins than me, I'll give you that. But your numismatic knowledge eclipses your knowledge of history, and I can guarantee you won't win in a historical debate with me. I challenge you to try via PM, but be warned, I might hurt your feelings even more.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you really think I care what you think of me? Insult me all you want but please stop picking fights and insulting others.

13. 1916D10C

Ok you didn't answer my question, but instead made this all about Idhair. Explain where and when I insulted anyone with my message (based on facts about history and also including my personal sentiment) about my reasons for disliking JFK and the coin in his honor? I seriously didn't intend to offend anyone Idhair, and you were not the exception. I don't see anyone else but you taking me to task.

hotwheelsearl and Ima Dragon like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I won't exchange PMs with a child. This is a coin forum. Take the political stuff somewhere else. Take your fights to the school yard.

Kentucky and Ima Dragon like this.
  15. 1916D10C

Says the child who gets mad and complains because I express my opinion and state historical facts. Ok Idhair I'm done trying to be cool with you. If I am a child, you're an opinionated, beknighted, narcissistic old goat. (I would use another more colorful term, but like Kurt, I'd probably get banned)

16. 1916D10C

You see Idhair, if you had come off as polite instead of going straight for a personal attack.......

I would have extended the same courtesy. See what I mean when I say, I mirror how I am treated? Respect is a two way street.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm laughing at you. Keep going. Let it all out.

18. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

How can you not like Ike?

Amos 811 likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

WILL YOU TWO PLEASE STOP? Geez. :facepalm:

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We already have. ;)