Do you consider it bad form to...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Casman, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Create public posts about coin dealers that you have cherry-picked?

I've always believed this would be very poor form.

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bad form..........if only for no other reason than to put them on to the fact that they're being 'cherried'. Silence is golden.......

*coins, fretboard and jtlee321 like this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I cherrypick dealers all the time, but I will never say who they are. As the old saying goes, "You can fleece a sheep their entire life, but you can only skin it once." I have no plans of skinning any of my dealers.

@Casman are you by chance referring to the thread over on the PCGS forum?

5. green18

Much like, a gentleman doesn't kiss and tell..........

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The dealer I spent $2100 with the other day had a conversation with me about cherrypicking and varieties while I was there. He told me, and I quote, "You know, I've been doing this 42 years and I still don't know anything about varieties. Don't know and don't care."
    One thing is for sure, though: He's a thousand times more successful than I am, even though I know my Cherrypicker's Guide pretty well. He can move massive amounts of bullion instantly, and he deals in $20k coins all day long, so if I come cherry a $500 coin for $100, he couldn't care less. LOL! He's a good friend and a good guy... known him since I was a kid spending my lawn mowing money in there. He knows I'm a dealer and he knows if I make money, then I'll keep coming back, and therefore he'll make money. But no matter what, our friendship abides.

7. green18

Great post!

jtlee321 and C-B-D like this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nobody has to know that you made money off of them, ever. No reason to do a touch down dance in front of them, that's definitely bad form. :D I gotta agree with green!

Attached Files:

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted