Do you Consider a Dipped Coin to Be Cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Feb 17, 2018.

?

Do you Consider a Dipped coin to be Cleaned?

1. No

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. No, it has been conserved

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Yes

30 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. Yes, but it is market acceptable

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. If done properly, a dipped coin is not a problem at all

39 vote(s)
    36.8%
  6. I will never buy a dipped coin!

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Dipping is a problem when it is improperly done

24 vote(s)
    22.6%
  8. Dipping is a problem when it is done too much

9 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. Dipping is a problem when a coin starts to develop unattractive secondary toning

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  10. I've had enough Bourbon that I don't care

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

A recent discussion with a person I usually disagree with prompted me to ask the question: how do you feel about dipped coins? Please explain your response.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Why only up to 2 choices? I see at least four choices that I'd check...

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

Gotta pick your top 2 - and then please explain the subtleties in your own words.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not cleaning since you can't even actually tell a coin was dipped when done properly all you can do is say you think it was or guess based on it looking too nice.

Yes dipping is still a problem if you fry the coin

BigTomato likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Boy if Green18 see's the last option he'll want to vote twice on that one!

Cheech9712 and baseball21 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Yes as, what ever the specimen was dipped in remove anything from the coin,of course it did... thus no brainer....cleaned coin.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Two Dogs likes this.
  9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Dipping alters a coin.
    Ergo it has been cleaned.
    Whether one can detect that or not doesn't change the fact that it has been cleaned.

10. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

A dipping, properly done, is tantamount to conservation. The changes, although there on a microscopic level can not be seen with the naked eye or through even low magnification. The coin is for all intents and purposes absolutely fine and market acceptable, as the dipping isn't detectable. However, when you start to combine dippings after time you can rob the coin of its luster, rendering it a cleaned coin at some point that the modifications have now impaired the coin. So it isn't cut and dried. I've dipped coins before, to remove unattractive toning, or some such thing and submitted it for grading and they grade just fine. I've also dipped coins that once dipped have shown the cumulative effect of having been through the bath a few too many times...which was unpleasant.

PlanoSteve, TheFinn, serafino and 2 others like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you can't detect something was done it would technically be conservation since no harm was done, but in reality it would be nothing since you wouldn't be able to tell. Cleaning is something that causes a details grade and can be observed

asheland likes this.
  12. Paddy54

My pet peeve is the term "marker acceptable " as to me that's a thin line....and whom is the line judge?
    As is it acceptable to keep sending in a specimen until it grades to your liking or grades at all?
    Playing the devil advocate then it be ok if your child would retake their math test until they got a passing grade?
    That said where does fairness to others students come in or honesty come into play?
    Yes I understand it is done all the time....but what could the repercussions be to the hobby by views of none collectors whom may view the process anything but honest.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

5 and 7 are really the same thing (IMHO)... as are 1& 2... And if you pick #5 (as I did) , that includes 8 as well.

I also picked #9 because, in my novice reading, unattractive toning can occur even if the coin was dipped properly, right?

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you are removing anything from the surface of the coin, even if it doesn't harm the surface, the resulting coin will be cleaner than before the dip.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My perspective is that, for coins readily available from original rolls - mostly Morgan and Peace Dollars and minor silver coinage from 1916 forward - dipping is not problematic because so many came from rolls that white coins do not look out of place in the market.

I do not condone the dipping of coins for which are expected not to have survived many years without having toned very significantly.

I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to a Morgan, a merc dime or a standing quarter, but rarely would I do so for a Bust half, seated dollar or silver three cent.

longshot, Paddy54 and Mainebill like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

yes, some of these options mean the same thing. However, they have different perspective.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Dipping alters the coins appearance thus it has been cleaned. Sometimes it improves the appearance and other times it harms the coin. Older coins should never be dipped.

18. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

For me, I am a bit of a purist. I do not want a coin that has been dipped. To me, dipped is the same as "cleaned." I look at that the same as I do a "details" marking, meaning I don't want it a tall. The same goes for things like fingerprints, milk spots, carbon spots,; don't want them.

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

You missed an important anwer in your poll...

I had to put "yes" since "cleaning" is the closest thing to correct in the poll.

But in reality, dipping is not cleaning, which is done to remove foreign debris from the coin surface (my definition).

Doctoring is the modification of a coin's surfaces to enhance its appearance or to hide issues the coin has in order to increase its value. Again, this is my definition.

Therefore, I consider dipping to be Doctoring, not Cleaning.

20. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I chose the “secondary toning” option because to me, that’s the main symptom of improper dipping, especially if improperly rinsed. Washed out luster would be another. Also, the more circulation wear a coin has, the less acceptable a dip would be.

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I consider it to be cleaning though sometimes market acceptable. I’m with Toughcoins a blast white Morgan mercy peace dollar or even a barber coin isn’t awful. The early stuff like seated or bust coins. No. And circulated coins look like crap too. Sometimes an old retone after a dip can look great though especially if in a cardboard album or holder for years. But I much prefer my coins with original skin

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted