Do you collect old holders?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Always thought it was a shame they shutdown and couldn't make a go of it. Especially as where the PCI name and shells ended up was a crime (truth).

leeg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

There's some stories to tell.

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So you think that their is a premium on a holder like that. I just didn't see enough upside on these coins. I think that they were 65 coins not 66 or higher and were priced right for that grade.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes the holder (or flip in this case) drives the premium.

Common date Proof Franklins, 1938 Buffalo Nickels, and BU Mercury Dimes go for $50-$100 (those are all coins that would go for $20-$40 even in PCGS PR/MS 65 holders).

Certain coins are less frequently seen in those flips (like Commemoratives-including the Texas). I could easily see that 3 coin Texas set go for $600 or more (an auction-while no guarantee-could have strong results).

Paul M. and Tater like this.
  6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Well maybe i should call and see if they have them.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

If you can talk them down a bit from the $600 (to leave yourself some room), then I'd think it would be worth a chance (note: my flip suggestions aren't guaranteed :D...there is still some risk ).

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Tater I see that it says "set" on the flip; were the three flips attached (as in made that way and not just stapled together)? If that's the case, I've never seen that before either.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I thought They were not stapled together they were attached as a single flip. I’m sure heat sealed together when sealed but I could be wrong. Maybe they were stapled and I have forgotten.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jtlee321 and ddddd like this.
  10. Burton Strauss III

And I thanked you for it because the cert# set a new low mark in my tracking... everyone I had seen of this style was in a fairly narrow range in the 49xxx's.

Until last week when THIS showed up on fleaBay...
    TGS-080246-Composite.jpg

gronnh20, jtlee321 and Paul M. like this.
  11. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Nice and it came with a silver quarter. I have been on the hunt for silver quarters lately. If I would have seen it I would have bought it also.

12. gronnh20

No grading experience is necessary to work for these guys. Every grade is either MS70 or PF70.

DSCN1891.JPG DSCN1892.JPG

13. Burton Strauss III

Those aren't sealed either, so you can have a little fun and swap coins...

Oh and they got shut down for running a stolen property ring... Albon coins IIRC

gronnh20 likes this.
  14. Burton Strauss III

15. gronnh20

I added this one to my collection of odd slabbing companies. Unfortunately the quarter is junk silver. The lines you see on the obverse are on the coin. I paid $4.75.

DSCN1924.JPG DSCN1925.JPG

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Usually called CSI (Certified Silver Investments) and used by lots of "services". I call them "finny".

Not sealed. You can actually tap them open, or there is a tiny pinhole on the edge you can use to lever the two pieces of the shell apart. It wraps like closing one hand over your fist.

17. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

4FE0331E-49E6-4DDA-BA8E-7B224CE24A00.jpeg FC2FE2A7-22B4-49A8-978D-1A6EE0A24B8C.jpeg
    I received this in the mail today

leeg, jtlee321, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

19. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

They call it 2.1. The second gen had the white label and the gold reverse. This one has the gold logo on the inside of the slab.
    The gen 1.0 were like this one but the insert was black not white. I have never seen one.

Mainebill likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ok. I’ve seen the green label and the brown that we’re alm identical I’ve had both of them I never seen the black label either

21. Burton Strauss III

The valuable one has the gold foil stamp on the white insert.

I believe it's number 2.2 because - although earlier - it was discovered after the foil stamp on the outside of the case.

It wasn't used for more than a couple weeks.

The giveaway in photos is no shadow from the letters.

Draft saved Draft deleted