Featured Do You Collect Capped Bust Dimes?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

This coin is of atrocious hidieousness, is it possible, without going through congress, to employ someone like Augustus St. Gaudens, to design some coinage of artistic nature ? Thank you.

Theodore Roosevelt.

(Something like that. )

Golden age likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Owle

Owle Junior Member

A local major coin shop has an 1821 CBD in VF, but uncertified for $200, they have had it for many months now which tells you something, for some coins the collectors are becoming rarer than the coins....I was interested in it but they don't take lower offers, no negotiation at Sam Sloats.

Golden age likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You know Johndoe2000$ your trolling of several threads here on coin talk is getting old.
    A suggestion and something your mother should of taught you......and it's something that is really easy to comprehend , and it goes like this...."what does one say when one has nothing positive to say? "Nothing"
    Your trolling several post with ??? And other such nonsense adds nothing to the other members post.
    Coin talk is a place to share a hobby that for the most part 99.9% of us come here to share our coins, and learn ,and share knowledge of this hobby. True we don't always agree on everything ....but there's a common ground that we are passionate about our hobby..... and trolling others post is not appreciated .

1916D10C and Eduard like this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Paddy54, thank you very much for calling out this member on his nonsense/trolling posts. They definitely defeat the purpose of what C.T is supposed to be about - Learning and Sharing in a positive way.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The latest addition to my CBD collection: 1827, variety JR-13, characterized by a low date.
    A moderately scarce variety at R-3. This one is a nicely toned, middle grade example.
    1827 Dime JR-13 Obv - 1_opt.jpg 1827 Dime JR-13 Rev - 1_opt.jpg

mark_h, CircCam, Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

If you could actually comprehend what you read, you would see that I was paraphrasing President Theodore Roosevelt. He was addressing just how ugly the nation's coinage was back in the day. Due to him, the U.S. started minting some of the most BEAUTIFUL coins ever. I am just echoing the thought. Deal with it.

Golden age likes this.
  8. Paddy54

I don't believe I've or any other members here has seen or heard of Theodore Roosevelt saying or posting any where "???" As you have after numerous post here.
    So deal with this..... your nonsense isn't welcomed here......your positive input towards the subject matter is.... so if you have something worth adding please do... if not crawl back under your bridge . Deal with that..... BTW Merry Christmas :)

Eduard likes this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

?????, my gift to you.

10. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Don't make me stop the bus !

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Merry Christmas all and a coin I probably already posted.
    Image_0154.jpg Image_0155.jpg

mark_h, CircCam, Seba79 and 5 others like this.
  12. Paddy54

Beautiful coin Larry..
    Seasons greetings

13. Sas

Sas New Member

Getting depressed... I've had a small but unique little collection with a nice variety of coins (including a couple capped) ever since I was very young but they have since disappeared at the hands of a family member with sticky fingers... it makes me ill.
    Oh well i guess it's time to start fresh ;)

14. Sas

Sas New Member

15. CircCam

CircCam Victory

1830 Bust Dime_Cropped.png

LCS find this afternoon... I have a soft spot for CircCams in any grade. :happy:

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I just have a couple for type, here is one. 1820 bust dime 0bv.jpg 1820 bust dime rev.jpg

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for continuing to post you Capped Bust Dimes!:)

Ksparrow, your 1820 is a JR-5. It is a nice example.
    Note in particular the 'notched' stars. Only Jr-5 and JR-6 share this feature.
    JR-5 is rated R-4 so it is not a common variety for the year.

Paddy54 and CircCam like this.
  18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

thanks Eduard, I did not know about the notched stars, nor that it is somewhat scarce. I appreciate the attribution!

19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Just curious, does anyone happen to know how the 1984 "Early United States Dimes" book compares with the newer "Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide?" I'm interested in the series and would like to know if one book is particularly better than the other.

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I am aware of the 1984 book on ''Early United States Dimes'', but do not know it enough to make an accurate comparison with the 2015 Variety ID Guide.

I have heard the 1984 book goes into more depth than the ID Guide. However, the Guide contains more up-to-date information on new varieties and knowledge (including updated rarity ratings) gained in the intervening years between '84 and 2015,. The Guide is also claimed to be easier to use with better (color) pictures etc for identification purposes.
    Finally, the 1984 book is also difficult to find and pricey. The Guide on the other hand is readily available at moderate cost ($49 or so).

NSP likes this.
  21. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

This is my only large diameter type, but it's a nice variety

1820BustDimeObv.jpeg 1820BustDimeRev.jpeg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted