Featured Do You Collect Capped Bust Dimes?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

1811/09 is an interesting year.
    The same set of dies were used as for the 1809, with the digits '11' punched over the '09'.
    The reverse die very broke soon, and resulted in reverses showing extensive networks of die breaks. Examples w/o the breaks are quite rare. This date is more easily available than the 1809.
    This is my finest example. It shows no reverse breaks, therefore an early-struck example.

IMG_6550_opt.jpg IMG_6555_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I have a few CBDs. A nice one in my type set, a few cull and holed ones that I just picked up along the way...and then I have these. I've never seen another pair of cufflinks like them, they are hinged at the half dimes to fit through your shirt, and they're oddly sized, since the 1921 is open collar and the 1834 isn't. But they're probably the coolest CBDs I have. IMGP2764.JPG IMGP2765.JPG IMGP2766.JPG IMGP2767.JPG IMGP2768.JPG IMGP2771.JPG IMGP2772.JPG IMGP2773.JPG

gbandy and Paddy54 like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@bqcoins, very cool pair of coffee-limk - I just hope that 1821 is not a R-6 variety!

@ldhair, that is a very nice 1827, JR-4. I admire the pictures you take.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thanks. It's the lens. Sigma 150 macro. Best lens I have ever owned.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I lost the reverse of this one.
    Image_0145.JPG

Curtisimo, Mad Stax and Paddy54 like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Very nice 1835, JR-9!
    Notice how the '3' is low, and the 2nd 'T' in STATES also. Those are the characteristics.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The 1811 obv is not the same die as the 1809. Rev looks like it could be the same die.

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Quote from the 'Bust Dime Identification Guide', P39:

'' 1811 dimes were produced with an unused 1809 die. The digits 11 were punched over the 09 resulting in the 1811/09. The reverse die is the same as that used on the 1809''.

Are you saying the 1809 obverse die was not the exact same as that used in 1809? From the above it was the same. However, it was an unused 1809 die.
    The reverse die is the same. I presume that is why it failed so soon after start of production.

12. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it was not the same die that was USED in 1809. Like the book says it was a die that was made (but not hardened) and not used in 1809. It was then overdated hardened , and used in 1811.

Also look at star 12, on 1809 it points between two denticals, on 1811 it points AT a dentical.

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Interesting. Thanks for that insight.

15. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Don't have any CBDs, would like to own one before I shuffle off on my mortal coil.

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Some really nice dimes in this thread! Terrific group you have, Eduard. I just have a couple, here is one (not sure what JR # it is):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, Paddy54 and Eduard like this.
  17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a very pretty 1823 JR-1!.

There are only 3 die varieties for the year 1823, and JR-1 is characterized by star 7 pointing to the curl on top of forehead, and small 'E' in STATES.

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is an 1814, JR-5.

This variety is easy to identify as the words in the legend on the reverse are spaced very closely together so that it reads as one word: 'StatesofAmerica.

IMG_4874_opt-3.jpg IMG_4850_opt-3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here an 1823, JR-3.

On this variety star 7 point to the upper edge of the headband, and the 'E' in STATES is large.

IMG_4883_opt-2.jpg IMG_4901_opt-2.jpg

Seba79, Curtisimo, Swervo513 and 2 others like this.
  20. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Awesome collection Eduard! I only have one cbd and just got my half dime. Will post when I get a chance.

21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Please do!

Draft saved Draft deleted