Do you buy AGE or ASE proofs each year?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Westtexasbound, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

If so then why? Just to be clear I do this as well and am trying to figure out why I am doing it.
    They don't change. Its modern metal. I guess you could get lucky and have a low mintage one but most seem to sell out.

Am I just mindlessly doing this and should stop or is it perfectly normal and many of you have wrestled with the question and decided to keep doing it? Its not like I started at the beginning so I am not completing a set. I got involved only a few years back.

May be a dumb question but I don't know if the OCD part of me is winning out over the rational side.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I had been buying one proof ASE and one AGE every year since 1986, but started buying the first spouse proofs when they came out instead of the AGE. That's right, I'm going down with the ship. I just prefer the rarity and variety. I continue to purchase a couple of ASE proof every year though.

Rassi likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Nothing wrong with buying ASEs or AGEs. I get the ASE proofs every year, just to collect them. No different than collecting any other coin. With the exception of the reverse, and the wartime metal change, the Lincoln cent has been the same since 1909, so sameness does not change its collectibility.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not to mention that for a price not much more over spot, you get a big pretty coin. If I remember correctly, I paid just over $600 for the AGE in 86, of course they've gone all over the place since then.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I buy 2 proof ASE's each year and have been doing so since 2000 when I re-entered the hobby. I don't look at it as being OCD anymore than one who is passionate about collecting other series of coins. It's just what I do to feed my addiction of collecting moderns........

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't buy them every year, but I do have a stash of them for bullion reasons.

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

My coin dealer has a stack of them and each one is the same price, slightly over spot. I go through them trying to complete my set getting each year. I get one of each year, except when my dealer had two beautiful 1996 Silver Eagles, for the same price as any other year. I got both and went home happy. They are fun to collect, I do not blame you for doing that, if I could afford the proofs I would do the same.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No for the gold.

Yes for the ASE's.

10. green18

Lee is a man of few words.........:)

11. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

It's what got me into collecting. My brother got me an ASE Proof for Xmas every year since the late 90's. Then since my birthday is just a few days later, he started adding the Silver Proof Set for that occasion... Been collecting ever since....

green18 likes this.
  12. green18

Heck of a brother......:)

Rassi likes this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Yes on ASE

14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I buy the ASE proofs and at least a 1/10 oz proof gold eagle each year. I'm trying to collect all the 1/10 gold proofs and have done well locating most of them so far that I missed from the mint at release. I did buy the 4 coin AGE set of my children's birth years 2007, 2008 and 2013 though.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You have a stash of PROOF ASE's for bullion reasons?

Tom B likes this.
  16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I guess my reading comprehension is weak tonight. I don't have proofs for bullion.:eek:

17. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

Personally, they just don't grab my interest. Mintage figures exclude rarity. I do like the designs, but the Walking Libs and Saints satisfy that urge for the most part. I'm with @ TomB, in that I'll pick up a few MS pieces for a bit over spot occasionally, as they are large and easy to store. I'd just rather spend my numismatic budget on the classics. JMO.

18. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

I have two ASE proofs from every year they were issued, minus some of the special collector sets. I don't have the budget for AGE every year, but I have managed to pick up four (two each at two different years) over the years.

Why two of each? I have two sons. :)

EagleEyez likes this.
  19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

2 Proof America Eagle since 1986 gold and silver.
    But since 2012 I had to cut my coin buying down to 1 set.
    I don't buy the bullion coins

20. coins776

coins776 no title

never bought any of those yet.

21. green18

Keep hangin' around here and you probably will do so one day........

Draft saved Draft deleted