Do You Actively Collect Foreign Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lonegunlawyer, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

4. lonegunlawyer

I have no idea. I am pretty sure it is Japanese. I like the the building.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ok so I looked a little closer and I'm thinking its Chinese maybe? The Forbidden Palace maybe? Neat coin.

6. lonegunlawyer

The 3 characters across the top stand for Japan. However, the reverse characters refer to a Chinese dynasty. I am befuddled by this coin.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Strange - very cool lonegun.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That 10 yen coin shows the Hall of the Phoenix at the Byōdō-in temple near Kyōto. :) Sounds like Japan to me ...

Christian

9. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

I collect foreign coins because I collect the British empire being British and these were colonies so really not "foreign" as such ha !

10. 16d

16d Member

I have nearly 200 current/extinct countries. While many were inherited, I still add when I find something purdy.

11. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

in my countries list i had 350 different ones in my old collection, even now with my new collection i have 326.....not including german or italian states issues...

12. mark240590

Not sure I think I have 80 odd countries actually including my brunswick luneburg

13. lonegunlawyer

Something from India.

India 1 1963 1 O.jpg India 1 1963 1 R.jpg

14. lonegunlawyer

15. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I actively collect foreign silver coins. i started collecting them for bullion value, but more now for building a collection and less for bullion. I have silver from many different places, a lot from South Africa, Australia, Sweden, Brazil, Britain, and recently a few from Germany and France. I love the designs and beauty of most of the coins i collect.

16. mark240590

I was picking up loads of South African silver of KGVI & QEII for well below melt before and built a decent collection but now they are selling at a much higher value so I'm
    Struggling for George's varieties at a fair price :(

17. Here are some more coins the 10 pesos i got it for 9 bucks and the 1/2 real i found it at my grandpas house in the dirt when i was a lil kid maybe like 20 years ago i was so happy because it was my oldest coin that i had

Attached Files:

18. jackrabb1t

jackrabb1t Well-Known Member

I started with collecting U.S. coins but have recently moved to Ireland Republic coins. Ireland is one of my favorite countries, it's fun to learn about the history of the coinage in another nation, and since there are less collectors than there are for U.S. coins, the high grade rare stuff is more accessible on a limited budget. That does also mean there are less coins to choose from on the market, but it makes it all the more sweeter when you find that coin you're looking for.

19. Raymond Beracha

Raymond Beracha Active Member

Z Japan 1 R.jpg Z Japan 1 O.jpg

That is a Japanese 10 Yen coin from the Showa emperor's 35th year (1960).

The left picture below the big 10 reads: Showa san jyu go nen (Showa 35th year)
    The right picture reads: Nihon Koku (Japan) Jyu en (10 yen)

20. lonegunlawyer

I was reading it in Chinese.

21. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

1,2, and 5 ORE type coins from Sweden. Pre WWII, WWII era, and post war era.

1 ORE.jpg 2 ORE.jpg 5 ORE.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted