Do these LWC's look cleaned and retoned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hoky77, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I have been selling on eBay off and on for a few years with a few hundred sales and have always strived to be honest in my descriptions. Quite often the coins I sell come from lots that I purchased for one coin and these lots will contain altered coins and I carefully note this in the description when I turn them over. In all my sales I have had only two return requests, both peculiar. The first was for an early IHC in AU. The buyer was a new collector and decided he wanted to do the set in unc. so hae changed his mind. The second return was for a BU IHC that had great pics. In the buyers defense there was a minute hairline scratch I never saw and didn't show in the pics. If you held the coin at exactly 37 1/2 degrees northwest when the sun just broke the horizon it was there. I noted this when I relisted and it actually sold for substantially moe money. Go figure.
    That brings me to these coins that have been in a overflow box that I used as I upgraded my LWC set. They have been in there for years and I am trying to downsize as I'm not getting any younger and the kids and grandkids just aren't interested and I cringe at the thought of the wife calling a liquidator.

View attachment 1037215 View attachment 1037216 View attachment 1037217 View attachment 1037218

LA_Geezer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that none of mine come close to these two, but like you, I'm not getting any younger. If you are asking, yes, I might consider listing these on ebay if they were mine.

Are they cleaned or re-toned? I wouldn't want to take a guess.

Hoky77 likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The first one appears damaged (scratched) and oily.
    The 2nd one looks better but I would be suspicious.
    Pretty sure they have been cleaned at some point. As for retoned, IDK.

jafo50 and Hoky77 like this.
  5. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I had these in my collection from when I was young and never did anything to them as a cleaning action but I may have applied a light coat of mineral oil to prevent corrosion, something my mentor recommended. That would account for the oil.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Could have been cleaned before you got them.
    As for the oil, which was a common practice, I don't think that applying such
    a substance today is desirable.

Draft saved Draft deleted