Do these LWC's look cleaned and retoned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hoky77, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I have been selling on eBay off and on for a few years with a few hundred sales and have always strived to be honest in my descriptions. Quite often the coins I sell come from lots that I purchased for one coin and these lots will contain altered coins and I carefully note this in the description when I turn them over. In all my sales I have had only two return requests, both peculiar. The first was for an early IHC in AU. The buyer was a new collector and decided he wanted to do the set in unc. so hae changed his mind. The second return was for a BU IHC that had great pics. In the buyers defense there was a minute hairline scratch I never saw and didn't show in the pics. If you held the coin at exactly 37 1/2 degrees northwest when the sun just broke the horizon it was there. I noted this when I relisted and it actually sold for substantially moe money. Go figure.
    That brings me to these coins that have been in a overflow box that I used as I upgraded my LWC set. They have been in there for years and I am trying to downsize as I'm not getting any younger and the kids and grandkids just aren't interested and I cringe at the thought of the wife calling a liquidator.
    The buyer wants to return these because I didn't list as Cleaned Retoned. Do these LWC's look cleaned and retoned?

IMG_7526.JPG IMG_7527.JPG IMG_7592.JPG IMG_7593.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Not to me. I would be proud to own them!

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No sir. Not to me either.

5. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Obviously with the way feedback works I obliged and issued the return. I am not on eBay to make a living, it is a good place to go after making an upgrade or to turn over that cherry pick and having a good reputation helps. It costs me more than $6 in tracked postage ect. The margin here isn't that much.

Inspector43 and Islander80-83 like this.
  6. Islander80-83

Make sure you get your same coins back.

Inspector43 and Hoky77 like this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I have to admit I only looked as I was not familiar with "LWC".
    Well I just learned something Lincoln Wheat Cent how about that.
    Back to the subject matter.
    The 21 S seem to have a "sheen" to it cleaned maybe but may have been coated with something in the past. Also it's a detail coin see scratches on Lincolns scalp/face.
    The 15 S is a nice coin it has a woody appearance. I would put it in my circulated Lincoln collection.
    Give the customer the money back after it's returned and then block that customer.
    If you send me the name I'll block them too.

jafo50, Hoky77 and Islander80-83 like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking coins to me. Once in hand a customer may see that it's not what they wanted for their collection and they feel they must have some excuse to return it. I would gladly put any of these into my collection. Just take care of your customers and all will be well.

They do not look cleaned and they do not look retoned to me. There is a small bottle which is used to preserve Cents and it can leave the coin with a shiny look. The name escapes me.

Hoky77 and Islander80-83 like this.
  9. Islander80-83

All my decent Lincoln's have that sheen. (@Collecting Nut) I use Verdi-Care on all of them.

Yes, I see that scratch you're talking about. Most of the damage in that area is due to lamination.

Hoky77 and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

@Hoky77, at that 1921-S again. Starting at the U in TRUST and going through Lincoln's head you can see scratches, a few sharp edges and missing pieces. A few scratches look like Damage but I can see a lamination error. The photos prevent me from seeing this any better.

11. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner. These were in my collection years ago and I would use a light application of mineral oil to keep my copper safe from corrosion. It was a tip I got from my LCS owner and it served me well in that it protected my copper without altering it and it was cheap. I thought damage on lamination but had no comment and let the pics speak for themselves.

12. Islander80-83

Never thought/heard of that. Where and what type/make are you using or is it all the same? Heck, I don't even know what mineral oil is used for. I should look it up. I'll have to try it.

Now I'm wondering if verdi-care is the same stuff?!?!

13. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Baby oil is a kind of scented mineral oil although I wouldn’t us it on coins. And no I don’t think VerdiCare is or contains mineral oil.

Reed

Islander80-83 likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

I would not use mineral oil on my coins. Why? Because it is mainly used to soften your stools (poop). It is created fron crude oil after being refined to a digestive point.

15. Islander80-83

Oh that's right. That's what it's used for. Thanks.

Hoky77 and Collecting Nut like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

The last thing I want is to have my coins softened. Lol

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes to the delamination in his forehead. But there are other scratches
    the main one going through the center of the coin diagonally at the bow tie.

18. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll give you the guy's address so you can go over there with a torch and pitchfork

Draft saved Draft deleted