Do the red flags go up on this Seated Liberty Half?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gilbert, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Spotted this SLH on the Bay. Seller has zero transactions, is located in UK, and does not accept returns. There is also an odd toning on obverse and reverse, which might be due to photography. And yet people are bidding. Opinions?

D2717C29-BA87-40E5-B417-62BCA77C6BE8.png D03FFE9D-8A8F-4EEC-AEAD-8977B116E289.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yup, I wouldn't touch that one. Good instincts.

Of course people are bidding . . . . it is eBay, after all.

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That toning is too similar to the typical Chinese fakes for me to feel comfortable.

tommyc03, CircCam, Mister X and 4 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes. The numerals in the date look a bit "off", among other things. At first glance, it was hard for me to determine if this was a fake, or just a harshly scrubbed real coin. (It would look wrong either way.) But upon seeing the unnatural surfaces and the somewhat odd looking date numerals, yeah. Red flag here.

Made in China, I'll betcha. Those date numerals and fonts are what give 'em the hardest time. This one isn't such a sloppy job, actually, with the exceptions mentioned above. It's somewhat deceptive at a quick glance.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's color is the first thing that made me question it.

-jeffB and Gilbert like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The coin above, once again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The real deal, courtesy of CoinFacts:

[​IMG]

The first: Beijing, early-21st century.

The second: New Orleans, mid-19th century.

8. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

It has that brownish splotchy paint that's been more commonly seen on Chinese coins lately.

Even if it were a real coin I wouldn't buy from a seller with those credentials.

Tater, harrync, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Everything about it screams Chinese counterfeit.

Jack D. Young, spirityoda and Gilbert like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Chinese date digits

ksparrow and Gilbert like this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'd bet it is magnetic. The red flags are fluttering like a Soviet May Day parade on Red Square.

12. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

The tail feathers on the eagle don't show up at all.

adelaide888, Magnus87, DEA and 6 others like this.
  13. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Chinese counterfeit.
    And many counterfeits are not magnetic. Being magnetic can condemn a coin (excluding 1943 cents and various foreign coins), but not being magnetic is no indication of authenticity.

-jeffB and Gilbert like this.
  14. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

Seated Liberty Halves are my most favorite series. This example of a 1852-O sends up the red flag, as others have said in earlier posts, look at the font of the numerals in the date, as well as the overall finish/toning that lead to the conclusion of a counterfeit coin. These characteristics also manifest themselves in the fake Chinese Morgans. The credentials of the seller are questionable at best as well. Otherwise not a bad fake and may fool the inexperienced individual.

Gallienus and Gilbert like this.
  15. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The one thing that strikes me about this coin is that the mint mark doesn't look right. It's skewed slightly, at least to me. I don't know a lot about the Seated series, but to me the MM just looks out of whack in relation to the lettering below and the branch above it. The bottom of the O should be in line with the serif on the F of HALF as in the real one posted by @lordmarcovan. It isn't. It points to the top line of the F.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Gilbert likes this.
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

There are many things that quickly give this imposter away, but the size, placement and orientation of the mintmark were the very first things that jumped out at me.

adelaide888, Gilbert and manny9655 like this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The only thing they left out was "Made in China." Thanks for posting it.

spirityoda and Gilbert like this.
  18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not even one! This has to be the most glaring missing feature. Good call.

Timewarp likes this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I've recently seen coins for sale with that exact same background and questioned the coins in view. Maybe a fake seller that collects money and you never see a coin and their profiles disappear from eBay?

20. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

the usual trash with many problems, but I could see how some folks would be fooled at arm's length.

21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I believe it's the new version approved by the CCP. The eagle had its tail feathers shot off by a super accurate Chinese AA missile as it flew over the Spratley Islands in the South China Sea. Take that, Capitalist Scavenger Fowl!
    sorry, I digress. should not have had that second glass of wine.

Draft saved Draft deleted