Do star notes really sell?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by WildWest, May 8, 2019.

1. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

2137EA01-DCD2-4B6C-BB65-03C3661C05F0.jpeg 07054145-50D9-4642-8D87-55C6B6B31CC8.png I’ve been watching eBay for sales of star notes and honestly they just keep expiring with 0 bids...page after page after page. I see some offered for maybe 10% above face and they are “rare” ones and still they don’t sell. What gives? I have A medium range $20 and a more to the rare side $100 and have no idea how or why I’d even bother listing them without taking a loss! Anyways here those beauties are..have a look before I buy something with them! Haha! Cheers

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Condition and run size dictates the value.

Not all star notes are valuable, but some are. Some 2017 $1 star notes have sold for over $100. Here’s four examples in just the last month. I’m not sure how you’re researching this @WildWest , but some star notes definitely sell for a premium. Look at the bidding...very active.

1DC846D4-2EBC-40FE-9511-F35CCC53CECE.jpeg

Legomaster1 and Stevearino like this.
  4. WildWest

I guess I just looked at the wrong tunes and saw none being bid on. Maybe the $1 notes are the way to go? When I put a search in tonight the entire page that popped up had zero bids on them and a few were very rare and in perfect condition. Weird. Anyways, I doubt these would sell. They seem to be in pretty darn good condition to me..crisp as can be! Thanks Steve

5. SteveInTampa

Unless rare or scarce, $100 notes are a tough sale and hard to justify as an investment. Higher denominations are a financial challenge to collect. Most paper money collectors start with lower denominations.

If searching eBay, change your filter to show SOLD items.

midas1 likes this.
  6. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Technically, they are valuable. But surprisingly, the larger bills are less rare, because people are less likely to set aside $100 than $1 or $5 or even $20.
    Even though bills age quickly, there is very little to differentiate in modern bills like silver and gold certificates, red seals, size, etc. Youve seen one $20 star note, youve seen them all.
    Also, most people can nab themselves a star note out of pocket for face value.
    Probably the only market for star notes is small bills, in superb condition, at a small premium. The only way to make any real money would be to sell in bulk at yard sales.
    The last time I bought bills, it was red seals and silver certificates at a yard sale, from his personal collection, at a small premium
    Even flea markets have fees. And given the small premium you could charge, if you sold $1000 in star notes for $1100, subtract your flea fee of $30, plus gas, lunch and your whole days time, and you made about $6 an hour for your 10 hour day.
    Theres no percentage in it.

midas1 likes this.
  7. WildWest

Define rare or scarce...the one above is from a run of 320,00 out of 10.6 million approx. is that not rare or scarce?

8. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

Just reading this I remembered that I have a star note for sale for over a year run size 320000 like you said. It's 2009 $20 and it had one watcher from the beginning and I'm assuming it's the same now. Imo they don't sell unless it's low denominators or they've got a fancy serial number.

9. SteveInTampa

I hope I make sense, but here goes.

If you want to put together a district set of 2009 $20 star notes, you will need 8 notes. The districts with single short runs will be harder to find than short run notes that are part of a large print total for that district. Not all short run stars are valuable.

Did I hear someone say, “The only way to make any real money would be to sell in bulk at yard sales” ? Are you serious ?

10. WildWest

So really if it’s not part of a single short run then there’s really no value. Even runs of only 320,000 aren’t worth much unless it’s the only run.

I’ll stick to silver and gold and the occasional fancy serial number and not mind reading of what people might want. Haha! It’s a shame since I have access to over 100k I’m bills every night. But even with that amount of searching they are rare to find which is crazy to think!

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Supply and Demand. If there's no demand, it doesn't matter how small the supply is.
    Some truly rare foreign coins are almost impossible to sell, even at very low prices.
    But if you try to find them, it is like finding hen's teeth - regardless of what you are willing to pay.
    Rare does not always equal valuable.

Tlberg and Patrick M like this.
  12. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

If you heard it, you are Superman, because I wrote it.
    I believe it was the IP who wrote that many star notes do not sell even for a 10% markup.
    So, $1000 in star notes sold at 10% above face gives you $1100. Subtract the flea market stall fee of $30 from your $100 profit for a net of $70.
    Throw in lunch, gas and a whole days time for $70.
    And thats assuming you sell $1000 face value. Not likely at flea markets.
    And most feel they can nab one out of change for face. $50 is the only denomination I have never found. Yet.
    But I explained all this and you quoted me out of context.

WildWest likes this.
  13. WildWest

A year?? Yeah, that’s my point. I think $1 bills is where its at if you can find them. I would have thought the bigger bills would be sought after. But I guess not. If you’re going to spend $150-$300 on a $1 note you’d think I you could spend the same on a $100 note and at least have $100 locked in! I don’t know. Like I said, I’ll leave it to the paper money guys and play with my silver and gold coins. At least I know exactly what those are worth.

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

like anything of value is based on condition, but just because you have a
    Star note doesnt make it worth a million dollars, in the end its only
    worth what someone is going to pay you for it.

midas1 likes this.
  15. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The trouble is that the rare $1 stars command high prices precisely because there are a fair number of collectors who've got all the common $1 stars but need the rare ones. Almost nobody collects all the common $100 stars, so they don't need the rare ones to finish a set.

Same reason a 1909-S VDB cent with a mintage of almost 500,000 can fetch a higher price than some 19th-century silver coins with much lower mintages. Being a key to a popularly collected set makes all the difference....

Patrick M likes this.
  16. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed as good as any to piggyback onto...... just stumbled across this on Etsy (of all places)... This 2013 Star Note from an 80k Run can't possibly be worth twelve thousand dollars....

Really-Star.jpg

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Coins and currency on Etsy are 99.9% frauds.
    I don't know what this bill is worth to collectors, I would be in the $2 area.

18. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

That's a ignorant thing to say...your 99.9%...
    Sit down, you got an F.

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Not possible !! you would have to be an idiot to pay that kind of money
    I dont care if it came from a very low run, i can see a very significant
    Crease in the middle, plus other distracting marks on the face, this
    Note would have a very tough time achieving anything over XF

If you think its worth $12,000 or even a fraction of that, i have
    Some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you...LOL

20. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Well, definitely not $2.

21. Sonny Nguyen

Sonny Nguyen New Member

I have 1 bill 20 dollars &100 dollars with a star note. Let me know how much work for.

Draft saved Draft deleted