Do some of you Prefer wear over Perfect on Coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 14, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm not referring to heavily worn coins, milk spots, carbon spots, etc. (unless you like those - e.g. sentimental coin you kept in your pocket). I often prefer some tarnish and maybe some very light wear on older coins, because it gives it character. To me, it's sort of like getting a bulls eye toning on the coin, since toned coins aren't technically perfect (no coins are technically perfect, even the MS-70 ones from an absolutely no toning, no tarnish perspective).

That said, I think this preference is on a different level compared to perfect, blast white, high grade coins. I like both, but they're apples and oranges to me.

Also, on newer modern coins, I prefer "perfect". On older coins, some character to the coin is a nice crowning touch. Though, I'd still prefer a perfect Peace dollar over a tarnished one. So, I think that it depends on the series and type of coin, such as the coin in my avatar. I'd prefer that color and tarnish with light wear on that coin. Strange of me, I guess. Anyone else?

HardTruths likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I am quite happy with VF to EF depending on the coin, but I am not really interested in anything after about 1950.

serafino likes this.
  4. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily say I always prefer circulated over uncirculated (or "perfect") coins, but I definitely prefer a coin with a deep, original patina over a coin with dipped surfaces.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm a big fan of the XF/AU area. Still very nice but was used once or twice :)

Paul M. likes this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I prefer toned EF45 coins. I'm sorry if anyone feels insulted, but Proofs and BU's remind of celebrities. How much of them do you belive is real?

Paul M., afantiques and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm thankful that all of my Morgan Dollars were in MS condition because when I found it necessary to sell them, I made a very nice profit.

Chris

8. Medussa

Medussa Silver

AU58/55 over MS60/61/62 for dollars and halfs all day long.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm happy with G4 for my bust quarters. Partly because anything higher than that is out of my budget, but also partly because it's neat to think about the thousands of people who carried it around, where they spent it, what they spent it on, etc.

For newer, less expensive coins I'd go for higher grades, but my coins that are approaching 200 years old definitely look like they're 200 lol.

Seattlite86 and rooman9 like this.
  10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

So I'm not the only one! lol

11. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Great question. I completely agree and actively look for coins with "a little character". I enjoy history and it is fun to think of who could have carried the coin or what is was spent on (especially morgans). But, I do and completely understand the desire for proof or highly graded coins. Especially from an investing or monetary standpoint..

Right now, I prefer toned coins from the late 1800's to the early 90's and I love toned Morgans. I'll say this though, even though I love color it would be very difficult to choose a common date nicely toned Morgan over a Key date for similar money. If I am being honest,, that little guy on my shoulder would be whispering in my ear to grab the more valuable coin, and I would listen to him..

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

One of the favorite coins I have is an 1895-O Morgan, VF20. Can't put my finger on why, but it has character.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm a huge fan of original gray xf-au coins. I own many and buy and sell them regular. And same for f-vf early stuff that can get prohibitively expensive in high grade

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I like higher grade circulated coins -- VF through AU. To me, coins were designed for a specific purpose, and never having been used (i.e mint state) takes away from their character.

okbustchaser likes this.
  15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Depends on the coins - for the older stuff like bust coins I really like it in the VF-XF range. Then depending on the coin itself I might like higher grades, but some of the MS stuff for some of the coins just does not suit me. So I like a little wear on my coins - and key dates will definitely be in the lower end of the scale.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

On one of my Conder tokens replaced a MS piece with a nice XF because I liked the color better.

17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Ditto

Draft saved Draft deleted