Do slabs add value?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Honest-Ab, May 30, 2016.

1. Honest-Ab

Honest-Ab Member

I'm not talking slabbed or raw. I'm referring to the same coin one in a standard slab an another in a slab with a signature or a photo or a flag etc. Thanks, I'm a little confused.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I persionally feel that flags with special designs do add some sort of premium in most cases. One thing that I would be cautious of would be third party graded silver eagles that were minted within the past few years, because in raw form they are normally found in high grades, and are not worth much more in a third party graded holder. Others on this forum have more knowledge on this subject than I do though.

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I'd buy any US coin in a slab with a Russian flag on the label :)

In other words: NO

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

6. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

That is that?..:confused:

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Slabs add peace of mind.......as long as they ain't counterfeited.........

brandon spiegel likes this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No, the labels do not add numismatic value.

That is not to say some [idiots] will pay more for fancy labels.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Depends. It's a gimik to us in the know but to the majority of casual collectors it says "I'm different than the sea of normal ones so I must be more valuable" hence the premiums they can bring

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Slabs by PCGS, NGC and ANACS should and do add value, but special designations mean about nothing to me.

12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Flags? No. First strike? Not to me, but maybe it means a better/earlier strike on a die? Signatures? Probably not because they tend to make too many labels with signatures, like 10k vs a few hundred. I actually like the idea of signatures in slabs because that's easier to verify that a signature on a photo or in a book. I'd think a signature on a label would be easy to verify since TPGs are independent and can post perhaps a pic of the person at their headquarters signing the labels. In any case, I don't think any signature is that valued by coin collectors anyways, at least with people alive. Okay, maybe Q. David Bowers.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

They only add value for those who have not yet learned what actually adds value.

Cascade likes this.
  14. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

It shouldn't but in some cases it does.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  15. Honest-Ab

Honest-Ab Member

Thanks, I just couldn't figure out why a Kennedy proof in a slab with his picture would be worth more than a similar proof with the basic label.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Then you were thinking clearly. :)

Unfortunately, our hobby is plagued by such things. As subjective as grading and evaluating coins is, it's a difficult niche to regulate in any form. That also allows the freedom which is part and parcel of why we can each enjoy different aspects of the hobby while still finding common ground in the shared love of things numismatic. It's a double-edged sword.

17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The labels on the slabs add nothing , but slabs themselves usually make them easier to sell .

18. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Only if I was buying the coin as a cheap souvenir or gift for a non-collector. I bought a slabbed silver Alabama quarter once with a flag logo to give to a friend visiting from overseas.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Basically just because some people like the look better.

Doesn't change the coin but some people will pay for the presentation value of the label depending which one it is

20. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I'm not certain if the OP meant famous named collections that are occasionally printed on slabs (as in provenance), but if so, they can add value. This is especially true if they were well known in numismatics, and their collections highly advertised.

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Yep; this was all that needed to be said.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted