Do sheild cents usually tone like this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wanderingbark116, May 18, 2019.

1. Wanderingbark116

Wanderingbark116 Active Member

2013 with awesome toning. The under color seems really different. Anything aside from toning going on?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks normal to me. It's a zinc coin with a very thin layer of copper. As a result it doesn't take much for them to tone all different colors and ways. Copper is very reactive and the coating is so thin it doesn't take much to affect the color.

Wanderingbark116 likes this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It's hard to see the awesome toning in picture form on here but it all comes down to the environment in which the coin has been stored. Areas known for their high humidity in the summer tend to encourage a greater level of reaction than in areas with comparatively minimal humidity (compare say Michigan and Utah).

I have shield cents from 2010-2012 that up until only recently had been stored away in hard plastic tubes with tape to keep them sealed shut. They all look just about as fresh and vibrant as the day they were minted. Basically, it all comes down to environment and how they're stored.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Do you see those slight lines? That is a fingerprint.
    Your Cent has been touched by many people since 2013.. Circulation toning caused by skin oils. saliva and even urine. Coins are nasty :yack:
    unum.JPG

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Wanderingbark116

Wanderingbark116 Active Member

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwweee.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You had to mention urine didn't you? :)

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted