Do Proof Coins Have Luster?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikem2000, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I thought I understood this, but I see more and more folks saying proofs have luster. It was always my understanding that proofs do not have luster (reflective yes), but now I am not so sure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Of all the ones I have, No

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Yes a lot of the earlier ones have luster and even some of the later ones , it might be muted but it is there . I have a 3 cent nickel proof that is barely reflective that looks more like a regular strike than a proof . As the proof dies wear they start to get flow lines and start to lose reflectivity . This is mostly with older proofs bud can happen as I have a '53 proof set were the cent still has a mirror like surface but also has cartwheel luster . Modern proofs are made with more care to preserve the reflective surface and the Cameo effect so you probably won't see any luster in them .

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Every coin struck by dies has luster, every coin.

And before you want to disagree, what is luster ? Luster is nothing more than the refraction and reflection of light from the surface of a coin.

Where does it come from ? It comes from the metal flow that occurs when the coin is struck. And since every coin struck has metal flow, every coin has luster.

But there are many different types/kinds of luster, and each type of coin has a different type of luster. Proofs, brilliant Proofs anyway, have the highest form of luster there is.

ephyfe likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Food for thought. I teach a chemistry lab where the students examine different elements and answer questions about them. One of the questions is: Does the material have luster - which I translate for them: Is it shiny. I know this isn't quite correct, but trying to simplify, we have to make some concessions. I like Doug's statement "Every coin struck by dies has luster, every coin. " but it leaves it in question, do older silver coins that have been dipped to death and don't reflect light also have luster? Also I have been sometimes stumped by the term "cartwheel luster". I am assuming that means the spoking effect you can sometimes see as you do an off-center rotation with the coin held between thumb and forefinger. Comments?

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What the dipping does is strip the flow lines (in the case of an over-dipped coin) and in such a drastic case there would be minimal, if any, luster. A properly dipped coin can still retain its' luster.

8. Kentucky

So, another bandied about term, "flow lines" - I picture these as looking like the ripple lines of foam the ocean sometimes leaves on the beach - only shiny.

9. Kentucky

So, does a whizzed coin have luster?

10. Kentucky

11. rzage

In my post I was talking about cartwheel luster . Which is the type of luster I think the op was talking about .

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Good analogy....:)
    Nope. Perceived luster, maybe, but the flowlines have been stripped with the movement of metal.

13. GDJMSP

Hmmmm, OK, I guess anyway. Add 1 word to my comment - every freshly struck coin has luster. Pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant, but I'll concede the clarification. :)

As for your questions, "dipped to death" ? Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but it could still be open to question because it isn't perfectly clear what dipped to death means exactly. One person's definition of dipped to death could easily, and probably would, differ from another person's definition of it. And then there's the problem with the other part of your comment - "don't reflect light". Even a dipped to death coin still reflects light or you wouldn't be able to see it at all, it would be invisible. But I know what you mean. Is this starting to become clear yet ? :D

On a serious note, no, a dipped to death coin does not have luster because the dipping to death has stripped it away. But a dipped coin can have luster, assuming it is properly dipped.

Cartwheel luster ? Yeah, that's pretty much what it means and why the term is used. The spoking effect you speak of is nothing more than a band of light that is being reflected to your eye. The key word here being band, it is the band that you see that represents or is similar to the wooden spokes of a spinning wagon wheel. Now in a more technical sense those bands are a degree of arc, kind of like this - \/. The width of that degree of arc varies depending on the type of coin you are looking at, some are wider, some are more narrow because each type of coin has a different type of luster. Coins minted for circulation have a wider degree of arc. Proof coins have a very narrow or thin degree of arc. But light is reflected from both in degrees of arc and that is what creates the cartwheel effect.

Now the reason that a lot of people think Proof coins don't have luster is because those bands of reflected light are so thin. Nonetheless they are still there. Think of it as two wagon wheels, one with thick, wide wooden spokes, and the other with thin, narrow wire spokes. The wooden spokes are of course easier to see when the wheel is spinning, but both sets of spokes are there.

The article that you linked to is incorrect, the author even contradicts himself, but he's not aware of it. He presents the very same explanation that is found in many books. Here's the contradiction. He first says that luster is formed because of the metal flowing against the irregularities in the surface of the die. He then goes on to say that these flow lines that create the luster are radial, flowing outwards from the center towards the rim.

Now if that were true then the irregularities on the die that he speaks of would also have to radiate outwards from the cent towards the rim. But those irregularities in the surface of the die absolutely do not radiate outwards from the center. What those irregularities he talks about actually are, are die polish lines. When a die is new die polish lines are the only irregularities that are on the surface of a die. And die polish lines do not radiate outward from the center in a circle like the spokes of a wheel. They run in basically straight lines that are parallel to each other, and can be at any angle in relation to design of the coin.

Here's why people get confused, they confuse metal flow lines with die wear lines. Die wear lines are created by the metal repeatedly flowing across the surface of the die. And as more and more coins are struck those die wear lines become bigger and deeper because the metal flows in the same way, in the same places, every time. And die wear lines are much bigger than metal flow lines. This causes exaggerated irregularities in the surface of the die, and those exaggerated irregularities diminish the quality of the luster on a coin. It is uniformity, due to the nature of the reflection and refraction of light, that creates the best, the highest quality luster, not irregularity.

The proof that is that a fresh new die has no wear lines on it. And coins struck with fresh new dies are very well known for having the highest quality luster.

Kentucky, mlov43 and thetracer like this.
  14. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

So would it be fair to say that a coin with a DCAM designation would actually be an inferior coin to a regular proof as far as strike is concerned? Is the cameo effect caused by higher quality fields or lower quality details?

I guess the answer to the second question would answer the first...

15. GDJMSP

On the contrary, a DCAM Proof is always superior to a regular Proof. And a CAM Proof is superior to a regular Proof. And quality of strike has nothing to do with it. A regular Proof and a DCAM, and a Cam, can all three have equal quality of strike, or not have equal quality of strike.

The cameo effect is caused by the combination of two things, high quality mirrored fields and frosted devices, legends, and numerals. That's it, just those two things.

The difference between a Proof with the cameo effect and a regular Proof are the frosted devices, legends, and numerals. The reason that a regular Proof does not have the frost is because of significant wear to the die. And if a die is worn, then by definition it cannot be equal to let alone superior to a die that is not significantly worn.

The frost you see on a DCAM or CAM Proof, and even on some business strikes, is caused/created intentionally. The devices, legends, and numerals are all etched with acid, sandblasted, or etched with a laser. This is done specifically to create the frosted effect we see. But as the dies are used and develop wear that frost on the die is worn away by the metal of the planchets flowing against it. And eventually all frost is removed.

Almost all Proofs, with the exceptions of the satin, matte, and reverse, finishes are intended by design to have the cameo effect. Those that don't have it, don't because of die wear and the continued use of those dies after they became worn. Prior to 1973, ut was standard practice for the mint to continue to use dies even after the frost had worn away. From 1973 onward, the mint changed their practice and would make sure that only dies that did have frost were used.

Hopefully that explains things for you and answers your questions adequately.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Explained if perfectly. Thanks!

17. Kentucky

Thanks, Doug. Question was partly rhetorical, but language is such a loose thing and words can mean what we want them to mean often.

18. rzage

Doug , what causes my 3 cent nickel proof to have cartwheel luster . I'm sure when the die was new it had a brilliant reflective surface , but mine pretty much looks like a super well struck coin with cartwheel luster ?

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Look at it closely and see if you could see the lines extending out from the center. They have to be there, otherwise it wouldn't "cartwheel."

rzage likes this.
  20. rzage

It's in my SDB , but I will when I take some coins there . Thanks . I was thinking as the die wears the flow lines must get deeper gradually changing the brilliant surfaces to a more regular surface .

21. GDJMSP

Rusty -

With the exception of the matte and satin Proofs, all Proof coins have cartwheel luster. No they don't like what you see when look at a Morgan, or Peace, or a Frankie, or a Lincoln, or anything else. But none of those look like the others either. They all have their own unique kind of cartwheel luster, every type of coin does. But people think that because they (Proofs) don't look like a Morgan or whatever that they don't have cartwheel luster.

I'm going to use greatly exaggerated numbers to try and explain it. Let's say that when you look at an MS Morgan and roll it under the light that the band of light, the cartwheel effect you see is 3 inches wide. But when you roll a Proof Morgan under the light that band that you see is only 1/8 of an inch wide. But it is still there.

That's what happens with Proofs, the band of light that you see from a Proof is there but it is much, much, narrower and more focused than the band that you see from a business strike. When you roll a Proof that band looks more like just a glint, a tiny, thin reflection that just catches your eye. And that's because it is a tiny, thin band of reflection. And it is so thin because of the highly reflective surface of the coin. The higher the degree of reflection the thinner the band of light will be. But it is always there because it has to be there because the flow lines are there. But the flow lines on a Proof are much smaller, finer, thinner, and more highly reflective than those found on a business strike.

Another way to think of it is like a Mag-Light flashlight. Just about everybody is familiar with them. If you turn the head of the flashlight one way you get a wide beam of light. Turn it the other way and you get a narrow, focused beam of light. That's the because the focal point of the reflected light is changed. Same thing happens with Proof coins. The focal point of light being reflected from the surface of the coin is much narrower, thinner, than that from a business strike.

thetracer and rzage like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted