Do people reprint these?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NumismaticGary, Jun 23, 2021.

1. NumismaticGary

NumismaticGary Active Member

While purchasing some proof sets, I notice quite a different hue to those "flat-pack" type of envelopes. Taking a closer look it seems on some of the newer looking ones, the font doesn't quite match the obviously old legitimate ones, which I find odd. Especially since they have NEVER been sealed. Who and why would someone do this?! And why does my coin dealer sell these? I asked him, telling me "I don't know"

So maybe someone out there has any ideas about what's going on here. ;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't know............quite what you're asking. Looks legit to me.

Copper lover likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the envelopes were made by different suppliers to the Mint?

NumismaticGary and LakeEffect like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite frankly, I devote most of my attention to what is contained within the envelope..........

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Kentucky, JeffC, derkerlegand and 2 others like this.
  7. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

It is legit and the way that older sets were packaged by the US Mint. I have some. Also, the Royal Canadian Mint packaged similarly for older sets. HTH

8. NumismaticGary

Wow. This is crazy to me! I guess I'm just one of those that like everything original, I think sellers should tell their customers if something has been refurbished! But idk. At least the coins are original (though they can re-pack those in the plastic I was just reading). A lot of people looking for special stuff like deep cameos etc I can imagine you can put together a set from many different sets cherry picking the coins out.

fretboard likes this.
  9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

NumismaticGary and fretboard like this.
  10. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I remember seeing a 1960 mint set in my hand-me-down box and so I went to check it to compare with yours. I think I see what you mean about the color. The original is more "craft paper" brown whereas the one in your pic is the shade of brown envelopes in stationery stores nowadays. Well, I think after 60 years, the original envelopes are probably in pretty bad shape. Here's mine, which I fixed up with scotch tape. The inside note from that stern, mean-sounding lady superintendent (telling you not to write to her, or else...) is different from yours too.
    20210623_220145.jpg

NumismaticGary, fretboard and green18 like this.
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Wow, I didn't know these were reproduced. However, the originals will have the year printed on them, the repops won't.
    1958 proof set edit.jpg

NumismaticGary and JeffC like this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I can see why the repops dont have the individual years on the bottom.
    Considering the print shop probably has a 1000 quantity minimum order.

NumismaticGary likes this.
  13. NumismaticGary

Agreed, most of these I'm sure are too damaged and falling apart. I do know the paper inside isn't original, my dealer only keeps one at a time and this is all he has. I have compared it to my original 1958 and many other flat pack types, even the envelope folds differently!

Some of them do, this 1960 is clearly not original. Who knows where it came from or who made it though.

14. NumismaticGary

Some do...

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I was being sorta general in my answer.
    I can reproduce any of them, but again wouldn't be worth the time and effort for quantity of say 25...not cost effective for such a small quantity.

16. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they send proof sets out in cellophane...it just seems like they're wide open to be damaged. Does anyone know why they do it that way?

17. NumismaticGary

Yeah, you’re probably right ;)

18. NumismaticGary

They misunderstood my question. Back then that’s just how they came. Pretty sure they didn’t use hard casing until 1966 with the special mint sets…

love old coins likes this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The print did change on the 1955 to 1964 Proof set envelopes over time. Also the way the sets were stored can effect the tan color of the envelope. Envelopes that have been stored in the light will fade.

As for whether or not they are sealed, I dare say if you ordered a box of Proof sets from the mint, not all of the envelopes would have been sealed. The so-called "interior sets" would have been open. You could order up to 200 sets in one order in the 1960s as I remember it.

If you ordered one set, it came to you with the address and the stamps on the regular Proof set envelope. I have one of those sets.

20. NumismaticGary

I appreciate all the responses! That’s interesting I wonder who would’ve ordered that many besides dealers back then anyway. I’ve come to the conclusion that these envelopes are not original. As long as the coins are real however is all that matters right!

21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

That's probably best, buy the coin not the holder :D

Draft saved Draft deleted