do people actualy collect fakes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by enochian, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I find it very disheartening that the two most difficult Jefferson Nickels to find in the market are both fakes: the Henning Nickel and the FSNC fantasy pieces.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VACookey

VACookey New Member

A guy at my coin club had a notebook of fake Morgans that he used to educate the rest of us on how to detect fakes.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

My local dealer collects counterfeits. Not for resale and he mentioned to me that there are some very good ones in the set and he plans on giving them to the ANA.

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

It was nice of him to do so.

Many older collectors, (those of us buying for a while), have "black cabinets" that we keep of fakes. I admit mine has skyrocketed with buying group lots from Ebay. Man, I have bought lots that I knew were mainly fakes just for the few good ones, so I am not out financially but my pile of fake junk has ballooned. :(

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

For me with a family story from back in 1917 they are a whole lot more interesting. And that folks is all I am going to say.:devil:

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

What you've said is true Tom however, the thread is NOT regarding countefeits. It's regarding "fakes/replica's" that are appropriately marked as such.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The Henning Nickle is a "counterfeit".

The FSNC Nickel is a "replica"

Both could be called "fakes" but it is important to make the distinction between the two so that folks are comparing apples to apples.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Are you sure then that the FSNC item would not more properly be described as a Fantasy piece then? I do not recall that reverse ever making production, so hat is it replicating?

10. enochian

enochian silver eater

The FSNC Nickel looks better then are recent one

the fakes i was talking abot are exspecive did u see the price on that site
    a fake with a history should have a premium
    ones that plainly say copy and cost $70 are a waste

Draft saved Draft deleted