Do pcgs slabbed coins demand more? Poll #2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mpcusa, Apr 1, 2010.

?

IF THE SAME COIN WAS BEING GRADED,WHO,S WOULD BE WORTH THE MOST?

1. Yes PCGS slabbed coins are worth more

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Equal to others such as NGC

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Equal to others such as ANACS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All TPG,S are the same

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The question is simple and direct, Does the same coin in a PCGS holder demand
    A higher price!! Yes or No ??

By the way the thread is going so far its an overwhelming Yes !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradotokens

coloradotokens Junior Member

Yes. PCGS brings more money, because they are considered to have stricter grading standards.

4. mpcusa

Iam not partial either way!! As i dont really collect coins actively
    Anymore, And yes i collect Mpc in PCGS holders but these are
    Separate companies now and for this thread we are just talking
    About the coin end of it!!

As the thread continues, I guess will just see :)

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Yes, but how one interprets that YES, also successfully shows that this is not so black and white of an issue. It's much more complex to be answered by a simple yes/no. Still I don't see the point you are trying to make by generating a resounding YES from this poll. Can you explain what a resounding YES was meant to prove and why you needed a poll to do this if you could figure the answer out by auction records alone? I find it hard to believe that posing such a question comes from an indifferent viewpoint or with no goal in mind... :eating:

6. mpcusa

Trying to read anymore in to a simple question about weather or not
    One TPG,s brand is better boggles the mind, I have no hidden agenda
    Are goal !!

It would be the same as asking which do you like better a Big Mac
    Or Whopper !! No more no less!!

7. krispy

krispy krispy

It's just that the goal of a poll isn't ordinarily to be conducted solely for the subjective expressions of the poll's respondents. At best you've admitted to the partiality of public perception but established no clear reasoning to support the YES in the way you seem to be declaring the success of this poll. There is an answer to the majority YES response, but that would take serious market analysis, which most likely has been conducted by and continues to be tracked by the major TPGs themselves, and it's not just which burger tastes better as a matter of personal opinion. This is why I agree with the YES but differ with the reasons being given based on auction records and perception based reasons. And of course I find the major flaw of saying two coins are identical in this poll.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I voted yes to answer your question because it is indisputable that PCGS graded coins currently realize higher prices. However, that does not mean that PCGS is a better grading company or that they have stricter standards across the board. PCGS does have stricter standards for certain series, Jefferson Nickels for example, but not all.

I believe there are several factors the influence the prices of PCGS graded coins. First, Breakdown mentioned the difference in registry participation which increases demand for PCGS graded coins. Second, PCGS does a much better job of marketing their product than NGC. There are also some major dealers that are publicly in favor of PCGS over the other TPG's. While this may not seem sinister, it becomes more shady when the support is derived from interpersonal relationships rather than confidence in the service. Lastly, PCGS publishes their own price guide just like Numismedia does for NGC. From my experience, Numismedia uses auction archives to determine the wholesale prices for most of their listings. It appears to me that PCGS publishes deliberately high prices in an attempt to artificially raise prices.

Remember, these are not facts, they are my opinions. However, I recall a poll on Cointalk that asked which TPG was better (PCGS or NGC) and the results were almost exactly 50/50. So if the same membership recognizes that PCGS coins realize higher prices but the TPG's are equal in quality, wouldn't that mean that PCGS coins are simply overpriced due to too much koolaid.

I recognize that PCGS coins currently realize higher prices but have no faith that it will stay that way. In other words, I would much rather sell PCGS coins than buy them right now.

9. mpcusa

You can read in to it anyway you want, I do think it does suggest that PCGS
    Coins are held to a higher standard, Therefore people believe that there getting
    A superior graded coin over other TPG,s, As other.s have suggested in this thread!!

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So how do you explain that the Cointalk preference is 50/50 between NGC & PCGS yet the prices for PCGS coins are higher?

Here is a link to the other thread with the poll attached:

http://www.cointalk.com/t49474/

11. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

The perception among non-numismatists (i.e. investors/speculators/hoarders) is that PCGS coins are better, for whatever reason.

Perception is a powerful thing. Because of that perception, PCGS coins command higher prices.

Think about your own perception of ANACS and ICG. Has it changed at all since the personnel swap? It should have completely reversed, but has it? Mine hasn't. Why? Perception. But it makes absolutely no sense on an intellectual level to me.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The correct, and direct, answer is somtimes, but of course PCGS fans never want to hear that answer. Nor do they ever seem to want to hear "why" explained.

But read this thread and the "why" will be explained - PCGS vs NGC

13. mpcusa

Thanks Doug i will do that :)

14. mpcusa

Thanks for the link,But that thread is a little bit different
    It states what service do you like better! This thread
    Is basically saying which is worth more! :high5:

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Of course they are worth much more since the plastic is really made from chemicals received from outer space. Some time ago the Klinglons traded here for our copies of Star Trek and in exchange one copany got their plastic and that is now PCGS. :goofer:

16. mpcusa

Probably a space age plastic from Klingon, Hence the extra cost:kewl:

17. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Not to be picky, but it's "Qo'noS", usually rendered as Kronos in english.

I'm also a big ST fan...:kewl:

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then you better read it again because regardless of what the thread title is my responses deal ONLY with the value.

19. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

I read the entire post and I appreciate all the info you shared. I had no idea about some of the facts about NGC verses PCGS. That was very informative and I thank you

20. mpcusa

This thread is totally out of control! My main and only point here is if PCGS
    Slabs are worth more with the same coin in them period!!! There is no other
    If,s and,s or but,s here, Please just answer the question, If you feal that you
    Cant please move on :)

21. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Now just hold on to your hat - what we are trying to tell you, and you just can't seem to understand is that your question can not be answered in the way you are asking.
    If you don't like the fact that it isn't agreeing with your "idea" then maybe you should take another look at what the guys are saying and research it so you can see the light.

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted