Do my eyes deceive me?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverhouse, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

So, I bought a VF 20 1899 Barber Quarter. Pics of it are on another thread. I WAS going to bust it out for a CAPS album but upon close inspection I noticed this:

IMG_20170105_202721.jpg IMG_20170105_202712.jpg

As you can see, or at least I can, a gash between the R and D, (just above) umm, wouldn't this be a details coin? It's not so small that it can't be missed. On one hand I'm upset cause it SHOULD be a problem free coin, I mean that is the point of reputable TPGs right? Or am I off base here?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

We're gonna need better pics, boss.
    I'd imagine they give small gash's a little more lee-way on circulated coins than on uncirculated. Possibly, nasty enough for a downgrade; but conceivable enough it happened with normal wear, it wouldn't be considered details?

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Could it be an O mint mark?

5. Silverhouse

IMG_20170105_210133.jpg IMG_20170105_210117.jpg IMG_20170105_210113.jpg I'll attempt better pics, give me a few minutes. Let's try these.

mynamespat likes this.
  6. I am going with an O mint mark with perhaps some PMD.

carpman98, dwhiz and Bambam8778 like this.
  7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Looks to me like a bad hit and I have seen worse not in details holders. Just my opinion.

dwhiz and mynamespat like this.
  8. Silverhouse

1899 O huh? Now I'm going to look closer. LOL

9. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Counterfeit perhaps?

10. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

To me looks like a O mint Mark with PMD. Look at the top part. Sure looks curved, and placement seems right.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Gee aren't they supposed to be the best LOL

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The "O mint mark" is just the metal gouged out of the hole. It had to go somewhere.

13. Silverhouse

IMG_20170106_103329.jpg IMG_20170106_103454.jpg Even if it was an O, why would anyone gouge a coin like that? Others should post their details coins that we're straight graded. Get a list going and keep track.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks fine for a 20. Appears to be old and the same color, its not in a focal point, not even on the obverse. Things happen in circulation

15. Silverhouse

I understand, but even still. And the coin is outstanding for the grade.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed

17. Silverhouse

I wonder if I send it in if I can get the coin attributed to an 1899 O. I think the 1899 O has about 1.2 million for the mintage. but I don't even know if it would be worth it.

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't know what you people think you are seeing, but there is definitely no "phantom" O mintmark on that coin. Compare the OP's coin to literally any coin in the Heritage archives. There is no O: https://coins.ha.com/c/search-resul...13+4294967061+1585&ic4=Refine-MintMark-102615

If there was an O, it still wouldn't be worth it to send it in - as you can see, the 99O in VF-20 is worth maybe $75.

Now, back to the actual mark: it is a decent sized mark, for sure. However, it is within tolerance for problem-free grading. Would I want it on my coin? No. I'd return it (if possible).

Yeah, this is a really common misconception. You'll find all kinds of junk coins in the top TPG slabs. Cleaning, hairlines, marks, gashes, incredibly ugly... just because a holder says VF-20 doesn't mean that it's going to meet your standards. It only means that it is considered market acceptable to a large percentage of the market.

Silverhouse likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's interesting that you'd have the same thing on that quarter.

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think I concur.

21. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I think I've come across one before also (might even have an example- will have to do some digging). Google is not helping me at all at the moment, but I want to swear I've come up with information about this in the past. I think the conclusion was it is a hardness test mark. If my memory serves me correctly, the census was it was a shopkeeper or banker who thought it was cute to leave a chopmark* where the MM would be located.

*more like a chisel mark, but I don't really know what else to call it... a rockwell-hardness-test-done-with-a-chisel?

Draft saved Draft deleted