Do Interceptor coin holders and Interceptor individual boxes for certified coins protect rare coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by brinssig, Dec 7, 2018.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It sure did in mine, and it was a 2 hr rated safe. But that's the thing, not all fire rated safes are equal.

Sentry safes for example, which I mentioned previously, even the company that manufactures them warns consumers that they produce excessive moisture specifically because of the fireproofing materials they use. And no silica gel packs can ever absorb the excess moisture fast enough. I owned 2 of them, and discovered their moisture problem long before I ever found out about the warning their maker issued. Papers, stored in them, came out feeling damp to the touch. That's how much excessive moisture they produce.

But other safes, like mine, AmSec, the manufacturer used different fireproofing materials, materials that do not put off moisture inside the safe. So the only humidity you have to combat is that of the ambient air.

As with many things, when it comes to safes, it is a question of the quality of the product you buy. That's not always determined by cost but it certainly can be. Many years ago, the safe I am speaking about cost about $700. Part of that was due to the quality fireproofing materials used, and part due to the high burglary rating the safe had.

So anyone who buys a safe - you gotta do your homework first.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

For Humididy control, I use this guy:

9rtiu90ertj.jpg

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

If it worked for robert for 30 years. Then he's got my ear

5. Cheech9712

I'm giving robert a best answer

6. Cheech9712

Thanks Doug

7. GDJMSP

Just remember that just because it worked for Robert, that doesn't mean it will work the same for everybody. There have been plenty of others who have used the same method he did and it didn't work for them at all - their coins still toned. And not always in a good way. That doesn't mean Robert's method is bad, it only means it worked for him and not others. But the same can be said of all other storage methods as well.

When it comes to toning there are thousands of variables involved, including each coin itself for every one of them is unique. So no matter what method you use, even when ya do all the right things - toning can and will still occur to one degree or another. You can never stop it, the best you can do is slow it down to the best of your ability.

8. brinssig

brinssig Active Member

Are these things noisy? Do they create a lot of vibration when they are used? Does water have to be emptied out once in a while?

9. GDJMSP

No they make no sound. They are natural dehumidifiers, not mechanical dehumidifiers. They are filled with dry silica gel particles. These particles attract, remove, and hold moisture in the air. And no, no water forms in them. But as I said the particles do absorb moisture. You remove that moisture from them by drying them out, recharging them, in the oven. At least with the kind I recommend. The other kind recommended dries the particles by plugging the unit into an electrical outlet. That generates heat inside and dries them out, recharges them, that way.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Bambam8778 likes this.
  11. brinssig

brinssig Active Member

The one that has to be plugged in does it release hum
    Does this one release humidity back into the air when it is recharged? I read a review that says it releases humidity back into the air when it is recharged.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes it does release the trapped water vapor, so do it in a dry , warm place, place with no coins.

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Yes, it will release whatever water vapor you had stored in it so plug it in in another room. I usually go for the garage or somewhere where it is not going to matter. It emits no noise when it is recharging. It does get a little warm but it is UL listed so I just plug it in and don't worry about it. I really think they are a good buy for the price of around $15.

Draft saved Draft deleted