Do I like my Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by COOPER12, May 1, 2020.

1. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it hasn’t been cleaned looks good minus the dull color . It has luster just not the nicest color to me it’s not near as grey as my 1892 P just not as frosty as I would like on the positive which is nice it has more breast feathers than a lot of other 1883 S 55s I have looked at just not sure the coloring does it for me and may send it back . Hard to photo will try and get my wife to help in a bit. I tried some different lighting and angles but camera phone skills are not so good

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I am assuming you bought this online from photos that only showed the very best of the coin, and understand that now, in hand, you aren't happy with it. Buy the coin and not the slab, so if you are not pleased, return it and look for a better example. JMHO

LA_Geezer and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

You just got the best advice.

5. COOPER12

I was trying to find a decent looking coin with the best breast feathers . Unfortunately the photos where dark and I was hoping the luster was better coin is nice has luster just not as bright as I had hoped my target was 55 . Unfortunately buying online there is always a risk as photos are photos

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Right you are. Buying and trying to grade coins from photographs is a very difficult thing to do. I wish you luck my friend, and welcome to CT.

COOPER12 likes this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem inconsistent with the grade assigned. Some AU coins have a lot of eye appeal, some don't. Sometimes you can tell from the seller's photos, sometimes you can't.

COOPER12 likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, if it weren't slabbed, a dip might help.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you're unhappy with the coin and or the price you paid for that coin, return it for a refund. Always buy the coin and not the slab.

COOPER12 likes this.
  10. COOPER12

honestly it has luster just the background color is darker. In different lighting it is similar to a few others I have and looks better , I will have to sleep on this one , does have very few marks on it at least

11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Do I like my Morgan?

Man, you're really putting our telepathic powers to the test.

COOPER12 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

83 S is a tough year and has a significant price increase at MS60. If you are trying to build a reasonably priced Morgan collection.... it’s a great example for 83S.

COOPER12 likes this.
  13. COOPER12

Yes trying to get 63 or up on the commons or nicely toned 61/62 the harder ones are AU coins and will go down as they get real rare

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Can you post the sellers photos? I've noticed that some Ebay sellers post great photos but when you get the coin it looks nothing like the photo. I've had to return a few and put some sellers on my don't buy from list. I don't buy much anymore but when I do, I go to a few trusted LCS's.

15. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a 1928 Peace Dollar on ebay right now that's in an NGC slab with an MS62 grade on it. There are already 24+ bids on it, but the coin probably doesn't deserve its grade. Maybe $100 less and I would bid on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-NGC-MS62-PEACE-SILVER-DOLLAR/333585155944

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

If you’re asking us if you should keep it, then the answer is NO. I only keep the coins which are truly special to me and sell all the others.

COOPER12 likes this.
  17. COOPER12

the coin has nice detail and has luster just a darker background color

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted