Do I have the right VAM??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

I'm going to sell this and want to be sure I have the correct info on it.

I found it in my junk box so eBay it goes.

From what I see it's a VAM-1 with a closed 9? Or is it something completely different??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Can you take it out of the 2x2 & weigh it?

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The obverse looks genuine. The reverse looks like the worst fake I've ever seen! If it is genuine the reverse may be whizzed as the letters are spread out and fatty. Please remove the coin from the 2X2 and take a sharp photo of the reverse. One good thing...so far I have not seen or heard of a C/F 79-S. :)

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This, the whole thing looks questionable to me. The details just don't look right.

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Maybe its the pics but the hair looks wrong and there is pitting. Maybe cast. The hair definitely looks off though

7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Somebody puts some lipstick on her lips, she wants to blow a kiss ......

8. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

It does look a little strange, eagles head/face looks like he's a little pissed. Letters on the rev look odd as well.....

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

My first impression is, there's not_a_chance this one's real. The only details which seem "correct" to me are that the face and eagle are pointing the right direction. I'm going to continue studying so as to point out specific details for future reference.

Insider likes this.
  10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And here I was trying to be nice but yeah SD was a bit more blunt

Insider likes this.
  11. DysfunctionalVeteran

What's a C/F 79-S?

Cast Fake 79-S?

I'll remove it and post photos this afternoon. I may have a gram scale, not for drugs or anything, it's for gold, I promise.

talkcoin likes this.
  12. Insider

Something I learned in an authentication seminar: Shorthand for "Counterfeit."

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That's counterfeit. Look at the S mintmark. Not the right style / font. Casting bubble at the star between AMERICA and DOLLAR, big fat arrowheads, pitting over the devices. That's what I see.

15. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

You guys are too funny!!!!:woot:

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hey, if you ain't got a gram scale with 0.01g resolution on your desk and a loupe always in your pocket, you ain't a numismatist. You're among friends here. :)

Cascade likes this.
  17. DysfunctionalVeteran

Oh noes!!! I need to buy a loupe but only if it's more than 10x and I can use with glasses. That leaves another problem... how do I use a loupe if I rarely leave the house and base everything off internet photos??

ETA...

FRIENDS

You've seen the Jim Carey movie about friends right? Still want to be my friend, friend?

18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Don't feel too bad:oops:
    We've all had a counterfeit in our possession before.... Consider yourself fortunate to only be out $20

19. DysfunctionalVeteran

Can it be sold as a "replica" under exunomia?

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Best to throw it away or possibly sell to a member here. There are a few who collect these for research.

21. Insider

Yeah, why don't you burn another $20 bill while you are at it. :facepalm:

Take his other suggestion, sell it to a collector of counterfeits OR better yet, keep it in your collection and learn from it. Another suggestion, don't buy raw coins on Ebay until you learn some of the characteristics of counterfeits - many are on your piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted