Do grading services tell other grading services when a coin crosses?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Jul 27, 2016.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If a coin is submitted for crossover grading and succeeds, does the grading service notify the service which had formerly graded the coin? It would seem the polite thing to do and would make pop reports more accurate. But does it happen?

Cal

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely. Maybe at the highest end of the spectrum like the 7 figure coins but normal coins I doubt they pay anyone to help the other-side out. It's up to the collector to send the labels back in as they are returned with the coin in its new plastic.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Bo. The :Labels are returned to the submitter who must then send them into the appropriate TPG to update their populations reports.

As for "notifying" the other TPG's? That's the responsibility of the person requesting the crossover, should it be successful, by sending the labels in.

Otherwise whats to prevent miscommunications?
    What's to prevent someone from calling in YOUR coin number?

There are a LOT of jokers out there that could cause financial harm to other collectors simply by reporting coin numbers which donot belong to them. The only GUARANTEED method of keeping the Populations clean is by submitted the labels to the respective TPG's.

5. calcol

I think for example, if PCGS were to send NGC a list of NGC-slabbed coins that crossed the previous week, NGC could trust it, and vice versa. Don't see the advantage in grading services lying to each other about coins they crossed.

Cal

6. calcol

It seems it would be to their mutual benefit. They would be helping each other. In addition, it would cause the other side's pops to decrease. Shouldn't take much effort because many (most?) slabs are bar-coded. Those that aren't bar-coded could probably be OCRed with pretty good accuracy. The service that is doing the crossing would not have to do anything more than create a file with low res images. Crossover data would not have to be exchanged more often than once per month.

I can see where things might get a little sensitive for coins that cross at a grade other than the original grade. However, I'm guessing that the vast majority of coins that cross do so at their previous grade.

I wonder if those labels that are sent back to submitters might be useful to counterfeiters.

Cal

7. baseball21

It would at the upper end or rarities where that matters the most. Theres a couple out there where collectors know the same coin is counted more than once in the combined populations.

The problem is the amount of work it would take. Last 12 months PCGS shows just shy of 1300 cross overs. You basically have to pay someone to just do data input for a 1000 labels a month to send over with no real benefit to them. NGC would only have to send to PCGS but PCGS allows from any service so they would also have to track whose was what and where to send it ect. From a business standpoint they just won't see the benefit to the added cost.

In all honesty the pops are so inflated in certain areas from crackout resubmissions I am not sure it would really make much of a difference in terms of increasing accuracy.

Most people just throw them away, some will send them back in. NGC offers a 50 cent credit per label to give an incentive to return them to help keep the population reports more accurate.

8. calcol

Good point.
    Cal

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

PCGS and NGC are competitors, not bosom buddies or confederates.

11. baseball21

I think the only info they probably readily share (if they even do that) is counterfits

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Good question.
    I'm about to go through some crossovers (PCGS to NGC).
    13 coins.
    If NGC send back the labels to me I'll forward them to PCGS.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I save any NGC labels I crack out. They "pay" 50 cents (I bet it's a company credit memo) for each one. I've broken a couple out (pedestrian grades) to complete some classic Capitol Plastics combination holders.

14. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

No. There are a number of crossed over coins which still show in the NGC census and now in the PCGS Population Report as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted