Do Chinese doubled dies have value? (Early 1900s)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Omegaraptor, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

7E90B031-4064-45FC-8DC3-D44C979DF892.jpeg C85D5AA6-6403-45C8-BE2C-80D2938B1743.jpeg

I attended a coin show several months ago and bought this along with a bunch of other Chinese coins, German States, etc for 50¢. When I got home I took a second look at this one and realized it was a DDO. I set it aside since then as a curiosity but I just dug it back up again and am wondering if this actually has value. There were doubled dies on Chinese coins but this is the only one I can find on this variety specifically.

Any thoughts?

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

303 variety 1920 value $ 1.67

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Wow haven't seen something like this for a while!

5. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It's really not DDO ... it's machine/mechanical doubling (MD) caused by the die being loose in the holder/keeper. In the nanosecond after the die strikes the planchet, the die slightly moves as it's coming off the coin.

6. Old World Coins

Old World Coins Well-Known Member

Actually its the reverse of the coin so it would be a DDR.

7. Old World Coins

I would say it sure looks like a DDR. I have several of this style Its hard to see the serifs from the pictures but it sure looks like it.
    I have one that was not as extreme and PCGS labeled it as a minor variety. There are a lot of Chinese error collectors about there You could probably get between $30-50 in the ungraded state its in by my best guess.
    DDR.png

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it could be hub-doubling as well, which would make it DDR, rather than MD.

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Thank you for the comments everyone. Really cool piece regardless of value.

Now I know what the reverse is on old Chinese coins.

Old World Coins likes this.
  10. Old World Coins

The Ching Dynasty minted coin (Most) have a dragon on the obverse and the same style letters on the reverse. the Republic era 1912-1949 generally have the 2 flags on the Obverse. If I recall correctly one is for the country and one for the military.

Seattlite86 and Omegaraptor like this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Respectfully, this has obvious signs of true doubling: increased device sizes, notching, etc. In that condition, it likely has no extra value, but it's still cool.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Machine doubling does not cause a shifted, split secondary image such as this. This is clearly hub doubling - and a very extreme example.

Draft saved Draft deleted