Do Canadians Not Use Money?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Sam Stone, Feb 13, 2020.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Idk, what kind of work do these guys do? I had to get a tungsten ring, gold's too soft for my line of work (underground utility construction/horizontal directional drilling).

Sam Stone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Sam Stone Plural for penny is pennies.

Sam Stone likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty sure everybody's seen it and heard all about it a hundred times.

Sam Stone likes this.
  5. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

Figured so. JC Penney messes with my brane.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I bet Sam hasn't seen it...

Sam Stone likes this.
  7. Sam Stone

If Sam somehow has seen it he didn't know what he was looking at.

8. GDJMSP

OK, talked me into it.

AGE.jpg AGE rev.jpg

Over a period of 15 years or so I carried a 1 oz AGE in my pocket every day. This one was the last of 4 different examples, and I carried this one the longest - for 7 years. Each one was carried in the same pocket with pocket change and a pocket knife, every day. But I didn't just carry them, I also used them as my "flipping coins" - as in I'll flip ya for it. When flipped, sometimes they were caught in the hand, allowed to land on the floor, a table or desk top, concrete, asphalt, dirt - whatever happened to be there. There were also handled and examined by countless numbers of people as I also used them to promote coin collecting among those who didn't.

Over the years, those pictures have been used to illustrate how durable, and hard, gold actually is, how well it actually wears during every day use for 7 years, and to illustrate how little metal is actually lost as a result of that much wear. It was weighed when bought, and weighed when that picture was taken. That specific coin only lost 0.003 of a gram after enduring that much wear.

Sam Stone likes this.
  9. Sam Stone

That really is a good story. As a guitarist, I carried a huge Mexican peso for years that I would use for a pick if I was playing something bluesy or if I needed a "dirty", hard edge sound. After years of use, I had barely rounded the collar/rim that actually plucked the strings. Billy Gibbons used the same thing. Last year, it helped me get interested in collecting when a coin dealer at a flea market saw it told me it was silver. I traded it for a dollar's worth of Magic game cards for my son and his friends.

Was that a mistake?

I still have a few more foreign coins that big and now I use them more often for two reasons. One is my new found appreciation for collecting and the other is they're just a lot easier to hold on to so they don't tend to go flying in the middle of Free Bird or Green Grass and High Tides.

Maybe I should find out if they're worth more than a dollar's worth of game cards before I trade them for something?

Your story is better.

Oh!! I just got a new fone a month ago and I've noticed the spiel czech doesn't do such a good job. When you see a really bad misspelling, a word that doesn't fit, or unusually bad grammar you won't hurt my feelings by saying, "Sam, you goobered again!!"

Wish I had the sense to get a fone with a billion megapixel camera that automatically takes a perfect photo whenever it realizes I have a coin in my hand.

10. Sam Stone

Can I delete the accidental duplicate post above? The first one has an additional short paragraph at the end, so I need to delete the other one if possible.

11. GDJMSP

Hope the 1st one was the one you wanted to keep :D

'Course if I made a mistake, the line from the old Heart song - "he's got magic hands" - is true, so I can change it if need be ;)

Sam Stone likes this.
  12. Sam Stone

Thanks. Once again, proof you're a good man, and I appreciate it.

mlov43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted